Joel's Reviews > Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong

Baseball Between the Numbers by Jonah Keri

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, owned
Read from November 08 to 13, 2010

It may be easy for me to give a baseball-related book 5 stars, and I may have already known most of the things talked about in this book, but it doesn't make it any less of a necessary primer on sabermetrics for any intelligent baseball fan.

I originally gave "The Book" five stars, but after reading this, I realize that was a bit ridiculous. "The Book" is practically the textbook it's filled with so many numbers and formulas. Baseball Between the Numbers balances actual writing with numbers much better. It creates interesting chapters that center on questions many baseball fans have probably had at some point, such as "Why Doesn't Billy Beane's Shit Work in the Playoffs?"

If Moneyball is what brought the idea of sabermetrics to the forefront, this is the book that actually explains the methodology behind it. And "The Book" is only for graduate students who have serious issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baseball Between the Numbers.

11/08/2010 page 151
33.0% "I need to lend this to everyone"