Jon Forisha's Reviews > Bottomless Belly Button

Bottomless Belly Button by Dash Shaw

Nov 08, 10

Initially I was not crazy about this book. As good an artist as Dash Shaw is, he certainly isn't very adept at drawing pretty people - or at least he doesn't try very hard. The story in itself is depressing, as are the various deconstructions of the main characters, but on top of all of that we don't need numerous scenes of sad naked people being sad and naked.

Anyway, that's how I felt at the beginning. As it went on, I grew more into it, though I still couldn't say exactly why one brother is a frog. There's a section in which he says he feels like a big ugly frog sometimes, but to me it didn't justify his actually BEING a frog for the duration of the story.

The big depressing story of the parents' divorce eventually becomes less depressing and more just interesting as characterization comes more and more into play in various ways, but then again Shaw gives exactly what I didn't expect by ending the book about five pages short.

It is a well thought-out novel and is well written, and a lot of the art is even pretty extraordinary. I just had a few qualms with the overall structure that kept me from adoring it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottomless Belly Button.