Virginia's Reviews > Giles Goat-Boy

Jan 20, 2008

did not like it
Read in February, 2008

what. the. fuck.

normally i don't get pissy about books i don't completely understand. but seriously. this is too much. plus it was way way way way too long. and too much gratuitous sex/weird words used to describe gratuitous sex (which i don't normally mind either, but this was so out of control it got boring). plus, like the floating opera, it's weirdly racist: the black men are horny half-animals and the women are seductresses. i take that back. not weirdly racist. just flat out racist.

redeeming qualities? i really liked leonid. and sometimes it was funny. other than that....ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giles Goat-Boy.

Congodog Stick with Romance, Virginia. It won't hurt your head.

message 2: by Virginia (last edited Oct 09, 2011 11:19AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Virginia Congodog wrote: "Stick with Romance, Virginia. It won't hurt your head."

Dude, what is your problem? Sorry, I don't love this book like you do. Does that really call for two comments implying that I'm an idiot? Get a better hobby.

Congodog Virginia, I certainly do not think you're an "idiot". Please consider your comments regarding this book are as unthoughtful and impolite as mine, maybe more so considering I (and many others) find the book vastly understandable and inspired.
Your comments are frankly naive and without basis. Perhaps if you had a bit more training in English Literature and had a broader, wider understanding of the American novel and the Classics in general your comments would not be as revealing about you rather than this fine novel.

message 4: by CandyStripedBlue (last edited Oct 17, 2011 05:27PM) (new) - added it

CandyStripedBlue Congodog: I really suggest you grow up. As a teenager, I find it really sad to see a grown man like you being so pretentious and immature. She didn't like the book, you don't need to patronize her for it.

"Perhaps if you had a bit more training in English Literature and had a broader, wider understanding of the American novel and the Classics..."

Oh, shut up. Because you're just so brilliant and educated, only someone like you can appreciate the book for what it is, right? Books are subjective, and if someone doesn't like one that you do, then that does not simply mean that they are less intelligent or less educated.

The truth is, you come off as a snob in your comments. And looking at your review, I've gleaned that you're really not all that intelligent. So either get off your high horse and stop condescending to people like the original poster, or go bury yourself in some other big arcane postmodern novel where you can justify yourself with the silly notion that you're smarter than the average person and stay the hell away.

Congodog Tom wrote: "Congodog: I really suggest you grow up. As a teenager, I find it really sad to see a grown man like you being so pretentious and immature. She didn't like the book, you don't need to patronize her ..."

Tom,
To quote your beloved Virginia "what. the. fuck.", which she used as a criticism of one of America's premier authors, speaks volumes about her lack of understanding of literature. As for your juvenile rant in her defense, it speaks for itself. Though not very well.
I love your use of the thesaurus to beef up your tawdry shitfit. And the classic idiot move, "The truth is......blah, blah, blah. You would not recognize the truth if you stepped in it (which I am sure you do frequently).
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, kid.
Writing, well done, stimulates. You definitely sound stimulated.
Woof, woof.

message 6: by CandyStripedBlue (last edited Oct 17, 2011 08:07PM) (new) - added it

CandyStripedBlue You think I used a thesaurus to "beef up" my post? Which words exactly are too difficult for you? Pretentious? Patronize? Are these hard words? If you're as brilliant and scholarly as you imply, then surely these words would seem more commonplace.
And if you're going to criticize my writing, then I'll criticize yours. First off, the quotation mark goes outside the period, not inside. That's Writing 101. Secondly, "broad" and "wide" mean the exact same thing, so saying both is redundant. Thirdly, your placement of six periods between "is" and "blah" indicates poor and underdeveloped writing skills. Learn what an ellipses is and then maybe your posts will seem less like they were written by a prepubescent girl with a superiority complex.
I wasn't defending the original poster; I was just bothered by how pompous and conceited you came off. And, like I said, it's quite sad to see a man your age acting so juvenilely. Sure, she may have rebuked the book on insufficient grounds, but that gives you no right to come in with some snobbish haughty remark, talking to her like she's nothing more than some silly philistine who only appreciates cheap fiction, while you, so wise and so learned, can actually take in and absorb this 'hard' stuff.

message 7: by Kacy (new)

Kacy Tom, you are fantastic!

Robert Graves Virginia, your review is flunkèd. I hope you study the words of the Grand Tutor better before you try to enter Commencement Gate or you will be forever more in the power plant beneath Founder's Hill with the Dean o' Flunks! Pass all. Fail all. Giles Goat-Boy is a passèd book!