Pia Veleno's Reviews > Sacred Fate

Sacred Fate by Eressë

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: source-fw
Read from January 11 to 12, 2011

I purchased this book thinking I was downloading a different story, but it ended up being a good mistake. I struggled, as I do with most fantasy stories, with the strange names and locations, but once I got past that I enjoyed the story of Lassen and the Arden (aka King of Ylandre).

Personally I would've preferred a lot less of the political stuff, especially since it would quickly loose me whenever it came up. Political moves speared several of the big scenes in the story, so that caused me some struggle to follow the story smoothly, but I did figure out what was going on each time.

Speaking of spears, the sexual act is not spearing. Oh how this ruins a scene for me! Also, when the subservient position was referred to as sheathing that spear, it pulled me out of the story every time. Despite these annoying references, I did enjoy the relationship between these two characters, and I liked how the world was set up - the races and the history behind the people being intersex.

There were a couple of dark moments where I truly believed that my HEA was in danger. Each dark moment and resolution was well written and definitely a strength of this author. One or two (I won't say which or how because I don't want to use spoilers) had me near tears.

Overall, if you're a fantasy fan, then definitely check this out. Even if you're hesitant about mpreg and intersex topics, this story handled both very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Fate.

01/12/2011
20.0% "Kings and castles and a concubine who'd never laid eyes on royalty. Now that I'm past the stumbling of weird fantasy names I think I'll like this story. Though I'm a bit uneasy about the mpreg aspect -- yet another story I downloaded on recommendation without realizing what I was getting into."
01/12/2011
27.0% "Ewww... girl parts!" 5 comments
01/13/2011
36.0% "I was getting into the story until it unexpectedly jumped ahead ten years. Now I'm struggling to get into it just as I did off of the beginning."
01/14/2011
47.0% "I figured out what doesn't sit right with me. I like the king and his leman, but the politics lose me within a couple of sentences. So when the king wedded because of politics I was completely lost, and this is obviously an important event. Plus the story is political in nature given the setting and main characters. I want to like it, but I can't seem to keep up with what's happening outside the king's bedroom."
01/14/2011
100.0% "Sh*t, I admit, I teared up (about 75% in for those that know the story)."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions What do you mean by intersex?

Yes the sword in his sheath is like seriously did you write that? I have had to skip the political stuff and most of the sex scenes. The sex was weird and when they start talking politics I never know who is talking or what it's about lol

message 2: by Pia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pia Veleno Intersex, as in having both male and female sexual characteristics.

Yes, the sex scenes were very weird. Amaranth and Ash was like that too (with the dual gender sexuality) but the story itself was worth the weirdness.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yes i liked the story even if i never did learn the names of everyone or the place names

i skipped the sex as much possible