Brett's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Nov 08, 2010

liked it
Read from December 19, 2010 to January 07, 2011

I can say that I like Inkheart, but unfortunately that is about as high as I can rate it. The majority of the book is spent in gloomy, depressing circumstances and the feeling that evil will prevail. Perhaps that is why others like it so much. It is told in a pretty decent fairy tale narrative and fairy tales aren't always peppy, positive, or have a happy ending.

Of course, this is all said with my customary disclosure that I like good stories where the good is triumphant and I am not drug through the muck of evil advancing unhindered.

The best part of this book is the fantastic images painted through the authors words. The book is made maddeningly real.

I have heard that the next book, Inkspell is much better and may have more of what I enjoy. I'll see... if I run out of better books first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

Lena English I am interested to know what you think of this book. I was not impressed, but so many people told me how much they loved it. I still plan on reading the last two, but I don't know when....

Brett I actually haven't read it yet. It was a mouse-click mistake that a review was published. I just put the book on my to-read list.

It was your review and Nick's that convinced me to put it low on my list. But I will let you know what I think when I am done.

Brett