Marcia's Reviews > Hole In My Life

Hole In My Life by Jack Gantos

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: biography, middle-school, ya, audiobook
Recommended for: Gantos fans, YA
Read from November 08 to 13, 2010

I had to revisit this book, which I read back in 2010, and needed to hear it from the man himself. The audio is narrated by Gantos and through his even pacing and terrific one-of-a-kind voice, we learn how a mistake at age 20 went on to make him the writer he is today. The writing is crisp, and I enjoyed hearing each sentence, so carefully crafted. I am really taken by the author's honesty and his willingness to share the ugly parts with his readers. Just great. Loved it more the second time around.

From 2010--Joey Pigza smuggled some dope. A fascinating look at a favorite author's journey to the dark side and resulting incarceration. Graphic prison goings-on make this suitable for teens and up--although he writes for elementary kids, this is not for them. His underlying desire to write and go to college ultimately saved him.
It unsettled me a bit to find a familiar author who so beautifully shares the struggles of a child with ADD or makes us laugh with Jack on the Tracks or Rotten Ralph had this type of background. Sure, Shel Silverstein wrote for Playboy and Dr. Seuss had a darker political side. But serving time in prison??!!! It is ok. He really turned his life around and that is inspirational.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hole In My Life.

11/24/2014 marked as: currently-reading