BookKids's Reviews > A Spy in the House

A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: mystery, teen, historical-fiction

During the early Victorian Era, young Mary Quin is rescued from hanging for burglary and sent to a school for young women. On completing her education, Mary is offered the chance to join The Agency, a network of elite female private investigators/spies. For her first mission, Mary is sent to live as a paid companion to the daughter of a man The Agency and Scotland Yard suspect of smuggling Opium and valuables from India.

This book with it’s strong female spy, interesting male collaborator (love interest?), fast paced plot, and general intrigue is a fun fast read. Although technically found in the teen section, the book’s content is appropriate for kids as young as 10 — that is if you don’t mind them reading a little murder. My brother and I both started reading Agatha Christie when we were 9, and the violence in this book is no more graphic than anything you would find in one of those. In fact, the style of these novels reminded me quite a bit of an Agatha Christie or Dorothy Sayers mystery — without the French or literary references.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spy in the House.