Dina's Reviews > Master of the Mountain

Master of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair

1918270
Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotica-romantica, bdsm, ebook
Recommended to Dina by: MelissaB
Read from January 10 to 11, 2011

3 1/2 stars

The book description gives more than a good insight of the story - in fact, it tells the whole story! - so I won't bother writing a plot summary here. I'll just say that the premise was interesting, but I didn't like the way the story unfolded.

Rebecca was too hesitant and insecure - so much that I didn't know if she still considered Matt her boyfriend or not when she had sex with Logan. Before anyone shouts "Cheater!" at her, let me explain that Matt and Rebecca had an open relationship - even though she only became aware of that when the douchebag told her he was a swinger and asked her to join his swing club on a long weekend retreat - so she wasn't cheating on him when she decided to explore her sexuality with Logan. Even so, I still felt uncomfortable with her decision, mostly because she was uncomfortable with it too. She was clearly not a swinger and not into any kind of sexual sharing, so why didn't she break things up with Matt when she realized that? Considering he was "busy" with another woman (and therefore, didn't have time to speak with his own girlfriend) and how he was okay with her having sex with other guys, I'd have been fine with Rebecca breaking up with Matt "telepathically" until she could do it face to face. She did that (the "telepathic" breakup) later, but the damage - the way I saw it - had been done.

Logan was sexy as sin - and a bit scary for my sensitive taste. He was definitely a Dom with a capital D and wasn't afraid to push Rebecca out of her comfort zone. He never went over what he knew she could take, which was a relief - to her, not to me. And that's where I had some issues with this book. Logan and Rebecca were more than happy with their BDSM plays - well, she wasn't exactly laughing with joy when he punished her, but you know what I mean - and they really knew how to set the sheets on fire, but some of their sex scenes were out of my comfort zone. I shouldn't care - I mean, as long as everyting is sane, safe and consensual, everything goes - but I couldn't help being put off by some of their sexcapades. Since I read for fun and that affected my enjoyment while I was reading this book, I had to take that in consideration when I decided on my rating.

This was my 3rd read by this author and I don't know where I stand when it comes to her books. I like her writing, but I'm wary of her stories. I loved The Dom's Dungeon, I didn't like Club Shadowlands and even though I thought that this book was better than okay, it wasn't a winner. What to do, what to do? I guess I'll have to keep reading. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Mountain.

01/10/2011
0.0% "Ugh, the book starts with the heroine having sex with her boyfriend, who is not the hero. Call me jealous, but I don't like reading about "my" H/h having sex with other people. :-/" 9 comments
01/11/2011
20.0% "I think Rebecca has finally ditched Matt, but I'm not sure. I'm confused." 3 comments
01/11/2011
100.0% "This book left me a bit scared..." 2 comments

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

AgentScully Nice review Dina! I'll have to read it soon to see what i think :-)

Dina Thanks, Scully. I think you'll like it better than I did, because you're kinkier stronger than me. ;)

MelissaB Nice review Dina! Sorry you didn't like it as much, hopefully you aren't scared for life! Haha.

Dina Thanks, Melissa. I'm good now. :)

message 3: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn Great review, Dina! Although I am very intrigued as to what went on, I don't think I'll be reading this one to find out!

Dina Thanks, Quinn. You know what they say about curiosity and the cat. ;)

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Too much usage of whips and chains Dina? Sometimes, even though I totally love the intensity of a sex scene in a BDSM novel, I end up being really uncomfortable just for these things. I also back off a little when I see a BDSM novel thinking how much could I take. Guess I'm not that kinky either. :p I want to read this series too, just not sure about it.