Meghan's Reviews > Katherine

Katherine by Anya Seton

F 50x66
Nov 08, 2010

Read in November, 2011

I loved this book. I loved the character of Katherine. I was delighted to learn at the end of the book that Katherine was based on a real person in the middle ages. The author researched and used historical records to recreate the life of Katherine, Duchess of Lancaster. It was pure coincidence that I read Katherine and The Sunne in Splendour almost consecutively, but together I have had a richly painted sample of life of England in the late 1300's/early 1400's. Katherine is the great-grandmother to Richard the III, the main character in the Sunne in Splendour.

Katherine begins her story at a convent where she was raised by nuns. Her parents were killed by plague in France and just before his death her father was knighted by the king. Katherine becomes a ward in a convent in England due to her sister being employed by the Queen. The twists and turns in this story are amazing and as the reader it is hard to escape contemplation of the uncertainty of life.

Well written and a thorough story spanning a lifetime, Katherine covers topics of motive for murder, superstition, awakening of spirituality, love of family, allegiance to royalty, class separation in feudal society, love and romance and arranged marriage. I would definitely recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katherine.