Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)'s Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

May 06, 11

bookshelves: own, read-in-2011, signed, 4-stars, young-adult
Read from April 08 to 10, 2011

After attending Courtney’s awesome launch party and hearing so many wonderful things about this book, I was quite excited to find out that this was our next book club read. I am excited to report that I can now be included in the group of people who loved this book! It is absolutely wonderful. I found the characters were amazing; so realistic & they truly acted like teenagers today regardless of how upside down their world has turned. The fact that this book is full of scary demons and some hardcore fight scenes is seriously kick-butt! I loved how Courtney made a female character that can take care of business all on her own. And let’s not forget about romance. This book is chop-full of sizzling, super hot romance between the two characters!

Courtney seemed to create wonderful characters with ease. The main character, Ellie, is your average teenage girl with average teenage issues. A distant, grumpy father, a cute guy friend who wants to take their relationship to the next level, an over-the-top super funny best friend, a recently murdered teacher, and oh, there’s that whole reincarnation, demon-slayer thing. So maybe Ellie isn’t just your average teen with all this extra crap going on but I loved that Courtney kept her personality real and down to earth even when she was slaying demons or wielding her swords. I did get a little irritated that she was so resistant to accepting the truth about her past, but I quickly got over it. She is sarcastic,honest, and completely funny. I wish I could have been friends with her! As for the people in the book who actually get to be friends with her, they are awesome! They played very minor roles but the whole group dynamic between them all seemed so realistic and fun. Even thought the main character and her friends where quite fantastic, they can’t hold a candle to Will. Holy hotness! You would have to be insane to not want a hunk like Will watching over you to make sure your safe. The green eyes, tattoos, and fighting skills just have me swooning! I will admit, he seemed a little whipped by this Ellie, doing whatever she may ask, but I still adore him. And the chemistry between the two is to die for! After being side by side in combat for centuries, these two are as close as they come. The very fine line between Will’s role as a guardian and as a lover was quite fine indeed, providing us with one deep & wonderful romance!

Demons, angels, and epic fight scenes, oh my! While at times I may have been a little confused over the world that Courtney created for us, I found myself loving the parts that I did understand! The demon & angel aspect of this story was created with originality. I can foresee demons becoming huge in the near future of Y.A. literature, and Anglefire will no doubt be the first major book of that fad! Who would have guessed that I would love a book with so much creepy, crawly creatures in it? As for the fighting scenes, you could not get more detailed or kick-butt than the ones that Courtney wrote in this book! I could have been right there with Ellie & Will watching the angelfire ignite from her swords or watching them kick some major demon booty!

This suspenseful, deeply romantic, and unique debut novel is a book that you will not forget! I will impatiently awaiting the arrival of the second book of this series!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

04/08/2011 page 66