BookKids's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

Nov 08, 2010

bookshelves: midgrade, fantasy

In The Grimm Legacy, Elizabeth gets a job at the New York Circulating Material Repository, a lending library of unique books and things. Here you can check out a toy for your child or a historic outfit. Elizabeth is hired as a runner, someone who retrieves objects from the stacks and various collections to be sent down to the reading room where patrons can either just view an item or check it out. All of it is interesting and fun (and of course there’s a cute boy), but something odd is going on centering around the Grimm collection of artifacts relating to fairy tales. It turns out that the tales are more historically accurate than we’d like to believe and that the objects in this and some of the other collections have magical powers. Someone is stealing the objects, and Elizabeth and her friends have to find out who.

This book was a fun read for a rainy afternoon. I curled up on the couch and enjoyed reading as the fairy tale objects dovetailed nicely into the story. I liked the main character, and her budding romance added to, not detracted from, the story. The mystery wasn’t exactly the kind that an armchair detective could solve on his own, but the story is well-written with a gripping plot. I enjoyed it and would recommend this book for kids 10 & up. The reading level is closer to a teen book, so younger readers might find the text itself intimidating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.