BookKids's Reviews > The Homeschool Liberation League

The Homeschool Liberation League by Lucy Frank

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: midgrade, realistic

Kaity (who prefers the name Katya) runs away from school on the first day when she realizes that the person she is at school is not the person she wants to be. She doesn’t want to conform to middle school social pressures, and she doesn’t want to waste her time doing uninteresting busywork. What she wants to do is homeschool and spend most of her time intensively studying invasive plants.

From there, the book deals with her parents’ see-sawing views on homeschooling and her new homeschooled friend, Milo’s, quest to get himself into school. The book actually isn’t pro- or against homeschooling. It merely points out that different things work for different kids. If there is a message at all (hidden in a subversive manner — the book is NOT didactic) it’s that every kid (and his/her parent) should look at the kid’s school situation and see if it’s working. And if it’s not, for whatever reason, than a solution should be sought — even if that solution means staying at the same school.

I found this book to be an interesting fun read and not at all what I expected. I kept thinking I had gotten the feel of the book when there would be a plot twist that would surprise me again. I would recommend this book for kids 10 & up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homeschool Liberation League.