Callista 's Reviews > Marked

Feb 06, 14

bookshelves: nonurban-contemp-fantasy, vampires-after-all, paranormal-sexy
Recommended to Callista by: Jamina Fritts
Read from December 09 to 16, 2010

I felt too old for this book. (Though I can't imagine my 16-year-old self liking it, either.) Odd how I don't feel that way about Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or even The Vampire Diaries. But this was just so very teenagery in style, dialogue, and plot. It bugged me that one character likes to use fancy words, but another character always tells everyone else what they mean (instead of the author expecting the reader to go look up the word if she doesn't know it). I'm also too old-fashioned for this book. I know the book reflects reality for 21st century teenagers, but there are repeated references to something that I'd rather not see even in an adult book.
I'm not enamored of the vampire concept to begin with, so the author has to do something different and special to sustain my interest. While it’s interesting that becoming a vampire is apparently a spontaneous, DNA-triggered thing, I didn't care for how the author mixed vampires with Celtic-type goddess worship and witchcraft and a sprinkle of Cherokee beliefs. Plus--and this is the second book I've seen do this--many major historical figures as well as current actors and other entertainers are vampires. The kids study vampire sociology and history in school. Ugh. Despite that, there is a weird contradiction in how vampires are considered the coolest thing in many ways, yet still sometimes referred to as monsters. “?”
I don’t want to read any further in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

12/13/2010 "So far, much worse than Twilight."