~Tina~'s Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: cover-crazz, ec-lib, read-2011, mermaids-selkies, young-adult, re-read-challenge
Read from August 04 to 07, 2011

I have always loved loved loved the idea of mermaids, but yet to find a book that I could just sink into. I'm so happy to say that I finally found it in this book. It may not be an absolute favorite, but I have to admit, this book came pretty dame close.

Tempest Rising is a very compelling story about a girl named Tempest who fears the loom of her seventeenth birthday. Her mom left her for the ocean when she was just ten years old, but left a note saying that Tempest had a choice. But does she really?

For the most part, I really just loved this book. It's intriguing with solid characters to get lost in the drama of it all, the writing really pulls the reader in and the pace is adventurous and mysterious, keeping me guessing all the way through.

Tempest is a very...erratic and conflicting character. Her pain, confusion and inner-turmoil is on one hand completely justified and realistic (or as realistic can be in paranorm) but on the other hand, she's very hard to keep up with. It seems like she wants everything and nothing at the exact same time and then dwells on the fact that she can't have this...but she wants that. Then blames her absent mother for everything she has to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy her character and liked that she can be very strong-minded when she wants to be, but the pull and push of her thought process got me a bit dizzy and more then frustrated. But that's the only real thing that bothered me about this book.
As for the love interest(s), it was pretty tough to pick a side. I like Mark, a lot, but I think it was because he was already hers, loving Tempest, supporting her and I liked that he didn't take her crap and saw through her bullshit, plus I like a guy that would fight for you. But then there's Kona, with his long dark hair and killer words to melt a sappy gushing heart like mine in a pile of goo and like Tempest I'm all -- Mark who? Both guys are amazing and while I wouldn't normally like what Tempest did...I was hooked on every moment none the less. The chemistry was sizzling and intense for both of the guys in her life, but in the end I'm happy with who she picked.

As for the plot of this story, I loved it. It's part self-discovery (whether she liked it or not) parts adventure, magic and love set to the rumble of the ocean. Kona's world is simply gorgeous, I felt transported under the sea. Tracy Deebs writes with haunting passion, really pulling the reader in the thick of things.

All in all, this is the best mermaid book I've read so far and I only hope that it's not the end of this world. I like the way it ended, but still think there is a lot that can still be explored. So I'm crossing my fingers for more.

Dark, deep and emotionally breathtaking, this is one mermaid book that I'm definitively gonna have to add to my shelf.

Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

08/05/2011 page 58
16.0% "This is really good so far!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindy Hope you like it:)

~Tina~ I hope so too. I'm still on the hunt for a favorite mermaid book;) This looks promising.

Cindy In my opinion, so far this is probably my favorite mermaid book. Just maybe your hunt is over.:D Good mermaid stories are hard to come buy. Good Luck!:)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) This sounds good! I've had it on my tbr list for a while... now I remembered why I put it there! :P Good review... thx! :)

~Tina~ Thanks! I haven't had the best of luck in this genre, but I really enjoyed this one. Hope you do to:)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I think I will... and I just ordered it! :) I've also got Forgive my Fins on my shelf (not read yet)... have you read that one? I've heard it's a bit humourous??

message 7: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Beautiful review Twinie! I love a good mermaid tale too but they are hard to find. I am going to have to get my hands on this book once my reading pile has shrunk a little :)

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Awesome review Tina! I've never read a mermaid tale, so I think I might give this one a try. So glad you enjoyed it! :)

oliviasbooks Finally, a mermaid book you liked!

~Tina~ Michele (CanadianTwiMom)- I have read Forgive my Fins and really enjoyed it. It was very cute and funny.
I was looking for a more...serious and emotionally invested one since then and I'm glad I found it in this book;)

Thanks Twinie! I hope you enjoy it! Your like me, so Tempest might get on your nerves a bit, but I still liked her:)

Thanks Arlene! I still have a few mermaid books to read. They have always fascinated me:)

lol Yup Olivia. Finally!:) Hehe!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Awesome! Thanks Tina!

Crystal Great review! I think I might give this one a try now =)

~Tina~ Thankies baby! ^^