oliviasbooks's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

**** Review contains some spoilers ****

Does it sound familiar? It doesn't? Then this is certainly the right pararnormal teen romance for you. For me it is like a multi-echo-déjà-vu and therefore impossible to bear. I think it is probably not the author's fault or the book's. Perhaps I have just consumed too many stories of its "kind" in too quick succession and now this sort of brain-candy is not tasting juicy and exotic anymore, but sticky-sweet and artificial on the verge of causing nausea. The undeniable fact is: I am 65% in and I just cannot take it anmore. Some of you may rightfully tsk now and say "Could have told you so." My excuse for preordering the book with rather high expectations is that I have been adoring and unsuccessfully craving mermaid-themed stories since reading Evelyn Kolnberger's Der Sommer als Nixe kam for the first time as a kid - or even earlier, since delving into Ottfried Preussler's Der kleine Wassermann, and nowadays Urban Fantasy books featuring mermaids and other merfolk heroines flood the market and beckon my burried mermaid-obsessed inner child with supposedly unique settings, unforseen twists and unparalleled emotions. Plus, I have to stress that - although it might seem to be so, I am not yet fed up by the complete paranormal romance genre. Even now I occasionally encounter a story that boldly leaves the path of the mandatory plot-formula (yes, it is possible), or - though following it - plants a character set in front of us that is too life-like and too likable to be off the rack und thus saves the day. Alas, balancing matters of the mentioned sort or others are sadly missing in "Tempest Rising". What is mentionable are the accute descriptions of the weather - thunder storms, churning oceanic water and so on. The rest is "business as usual" clad in a sparkling - oh, pardon me, I meant fluorescent - skin of not-so-new mermaid lore:
- There is a girl - with hidden powers and open affinities. Her mom, a mermaid, left her family for the ocean, puzzling her daughter with a cryptic good-bye letter that promised changes and explanations in abundance to come.
- There is a boyfriend of the harmlessly cute and jealous variety. The reader is expected to like him but to let him drop with a sad, but short, sigh when the worthier - aka superhuman - angle of the paranormal love-triangle makes his glow-in-the-dark-tattooed-and-silver-eyed entrance and captivates heart and soul of the heroine with the forming of in instant connection/attraction/recognition/lust/tugging/whatever:
“I couldn’t help the way I responded to Kona, though – every inch of my body (and most of my concentration) was tuned toward him like he was a lightning rod. There didn’t seem to be anything I could do about it.“
- Said supernatural love-interest is not immortal, but very old with an even longer life expectancy and thus very mature - opposed to the heroine - and very experienced in the pleasure-giving department. Certainly the heroine is not really mortal, too.
- Said experienced, fluorescent instant-lover turns out to be filthily rich and - this comes as a shock (or not) - heir to a throne (how could he not, good looking as he is). By the way, there was one thing that bugged me: The heroine had to swim through a very, very tight dark tunnel to reach his not-on-human-maps castle and is told that it was the only way to get there, but then his room is full of old books, DVD and state-of-the-art entertainment-systems and everybody is clad in hip designer clothes.
- The heroine herself is the long awaited daughter of a very influential person, and - because of an ancient prophecy that mentions her very name - the only hope to restore the peace to the merfolk-world. Her probable royal future inlaws therefore fall around her pearly, tattooed neck and declare she was worth the wait. Oh, yeah.
- There is an evil, evil opponent with evil, evil minions who will be quieted or fought or converted by the heroine somehow. I don't care, but I can imagine perfectly well.
- And finally there is the not to be missed page-consuming dance of secrecy around the difficult and dangerous and uncomprehensive questions of what-kind-of-creature-the-supernatural-guy-is and of what-the-hell-is-the-problem-down-here. Both questions are answered - after a lot of screaming and trust-me-pleading and it's-too-early-too-tell-repetitions - right according the lines every half-experienced reader had already guessed chapters before.

This will not be the last mermaid story I have tried to enjoy. And I believe it might be perfect for a lot of those paranormal romance fans, who do not expect diversity, but long for slightly different versions of what they already know and like.

One of my straying thoughts, which amused me a bit, was: "Poor Stephenie Meyer. You said you wanted to hop on the mermaid-band-waggon. But your fluorescent mer-prince-story has already been told. Now what? Talking budgies or a Persephone retelling? It doesn't matter. But you have to be quick. Trends shift as quickly as the incoming tides these days."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

08/13/2011 page 13
4.0% "A lot of suspense/tension right from the start."
08/13/2011
35.0% "uhhh. the i cannot tell you yet method. and a love triangle. yeah. but nice heroine and love interest." 1 comment
08/13/2011
44.0% "This will not be a favorite."
08/14/2011
65.0% "I can't take it anymore: Prophecies, rich prince boys, instant attraction, screcies "for your safety's sake" ..." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Garrett This cover is so beautiful! Probably my favorite mermaid book cover of all time!

~Tina~ Even though I enjoyed this book, you make some very excellent thought out points Olivia. Well done.

Poor SM indeed, I too was thinking about that as well. I hope she jumps on the band-wagon soon:)

message 3: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess I love your SM Comment xD That´s excactly what I thought with all these mermaid stories flooding the market atm.

oliviasbooks Thank you, Tina and Jess.

message 5: by Nomes (new)

Nomes " multi-echo-déjà-vu and therefore impossible to bear"

oh that is perfectly coined.

somehow, i missed the idea of SM writing a mer-story. (not surprisingly as i do not follow her closely). LOL @ it already having been written :D

message 6: by Tatiana (last edited Aug 14, 2011 05:54AM) (new)

Tatiana "Why can't you just tell me?" It was my turn to reach out for him, to grab his hand. "Because you're not ready for the answers yet."

Nothing can make me see red quicker than this sort of conversations in books.

Miss Bookiverse awesome review, Olivia! I giggled a lot while reading it ;)

oliviasbooks Thanks. Your giggles make me very happy.

Guitar Chick I still want to read this because even though you didn't like it, I still might.

*desperatly wants book*

message 10: by oliviasbooks (last edited Aug 15, 2011 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks Cute! I think so, too. There are lots of people who might. Your wish is noted!

message 11: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Hmm, well, as the author of a mermaid/selkie novel coming out soon I had to read your review. Based on your review of TR, I think you would enjoy parts of my story. (I THINK they're kind of unique and not overdone--but I'm biased. Ha.) BUT, *sigh* my merfolk have tattooish marks too. I swear I didn't copy it from TR! I haven't even read it yet. But I would like to read it eventually so please enter me.

Great review though. I like honest reviews.

oliviasbooks Thank you, Karen!

message 13: by Flannery (new)

Flannery I'd like to win your book, Olivia, because I've never read a YA mermaid book. Not even one. The only thing I can think of that I've read about mermaids is one or two MaryJanice Davidson books. (Meh) Maybe I wouldn't be as bothered by its lack of diversity since I have nothing to compare it to? (mermaid-wise...)

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Olivia, I'd like to enter this contest. I've never read a YA mermaid book either. I think I heard somewhere that SM is coming out with a mermaid book, but I think her's will be cannibal mermaids, or at least they are rumored to be cannibals. LOL So I'd like to have something to compare it too, if her book is ever released. ^^

message 15: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Olivia, I would greatly appreciate a win here! lol I have a losing streak I would love to break and i'm not talking about gambling here. I do like mermaid books, but have only a few under my belt. The cover is very pretty.

oliviasbooks The paperback I am giving away has that other cover which I like better.

message 17: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Try the Seaborn Trilogy. :P Thats a good fantasy mermaid couple of books. Check out my mermaids shelf for more!

oliviasbooks Thanks, Lorena! I checked it out - your shelf is smaller than mine, hehe - and added the trilogy to my wishlist. It doesn't sound bad.

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Kane does it have any dirty parts in it?

oliviasbooks If you think about sexual content I am the wrong person to ask, because I wouldn't ever think of sex (if it's not incestous or forced) as dirty - provided that people shower regularly.

message 21: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Kane Thanks so much this has helped me a lot. An I just choose not read dirty books so I had to make sure.

message 22: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 07, 2013 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks But if you "need" answers by people who care, there are some lists in Listopia constructed by people who are keen on "clean" content - just type in the search word - and I believe there are also Goodsreads groups by some parents who attempt to control what their offspring reads.

oliviasbooks That is maybe easier than checking out each book.

message 24: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Kane Kk. That sounds great. Thanks or all your help I am grateful for it.

message 25: by Lorena (new)

Lorena Do not try 50 Shades though :P lolz

message 26: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Kane Lol. Good one hahaha

Erica try Forgive my Fins by tera lynn childs, its so much better.

oliviasbooks Hmmm. It was an acceptable 3-star-read for me and I did not feel like reading the sequel.

message 29: by Brynn (new) - added it

Brynn Best book eva! There is some VERY intense kissing and there is some sexual stuff in the third book

message 30: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Reilly You had all of the same issues I did and voiced them better. I just had a problem with the whole spider/bug thing because I spent the last four years of my life studying to get a degree in the knowledge of insects.

oliviasbooks Thank you!! There was a spider or an insect? Probably it appeared in the last third, which I skipped. But if I were an expert in a certain field I'd be irritated, too, when the facts are muddled up in fiction.

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Reilly Yeah, Kona says "come on Tempest, trust me" and she replies "said the spider to the fly" and he resents being called "an eight-legged, bloodsucking bug" and she says "spiders aren't true bugs, they're insects"

I screenshotted it and sent it to a friend because it was just so ridiculous. I skimmed the last 30% how is this rated higher than Everblue on here?

oliviasbooks "spiders aren't true bugs, they're insects"? Oh, wow ... Mermaids aren't true dolphins, they are mammals, huh?

@Everblue: I didn't like that either, unfortunately, but for different reasons than Tempest.