AmandaLil's Reviews > The Attenbury Emeralds

232060
Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, fiction
Read from November 15 to 23, 2010

Thank you to Goodreads and the publisher for this "first reads" win.

Having never read any of the books by Dorthy L. Sayers or Jill Patton Walsh I approached this book as an outsider with no background knowledge of the characters or style of writing, so I was a little hesitant when I began. Although the first couple chapters were slow, probably because of the long cast of characters, it immediatly picked up with an excellent mystery that in itself would make the book worth reading. The highlight I thought was the relationship between the three main characters, Peter Wimsey, Harriet Vane, and Mr. Bunter. The easy way in which these character interact sets the tone and keeps the story moving, especially the relationship between Peter and Harriet, the husband and wife. I would recommend this to those who have no familiarity with Sayers or Wlash because I didn't feel I was missing any previous knowledge that was crucial to my understand of The Attenbury Emeralds, and the fact that Harriet was unfamiliar with the story set me at ease. This was an excellent novel and I'm glad I had the experience of reading and reviewing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Attenbury Emeralds.