Autumn El's Reviews > My Brother Sam Is Dead

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier

Nov 10, 10

My Brother Sam is Dead was a personal favorite of mine. Every detail of this book kept me desirous. It recounts the hardships endured by Tim and his family during the Revolutionary War. When Tim's older brother Sam joins the rebel forces, it impacts the rest of his family who wish to avoid war with England. Tim's family is Anglican and thus loyal to the Church of England; a split with England would greatly affect them. What surprised me about this book was that if it wasn’t forced upon me, I don’t think I would have been interested in reading it. This book was a very visual one for me, every detail made the picture in your mind clearer. Despite the title, because of the events in the book, and even though I knew Sam was going to die already, I really wished he lived. Primarily because he did not, in my eyes, deserve the death he endured. His death, a surprise to no man in the book, was appraised to me because he died for his beliefs. “Tim Meeker is a metaphoric symbol of one third of the American population during the war” Each chapter touches on a number of topics and issues that provide readers with a better understanding of the affects the American Revolution had on individuals, their families, their churches, their towns, their neighbors.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother Sam Is Dead.