An Abundance of Books's Reviews > The Iron Knight

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reviews
Read from September 24 to 28, 2011

Featured at An Abundance of Books

Past actions and oaths come back to haunt Ash, former prince of the Winter Court. He swore to Meghan that he would find a way to be with her in the Iron Kingdom, and now he must. The Oath has started to fray his very being, and the longer it goes unfulfilled the more it takes away from him. His older oath to kill Puck, his one time friend, is also eating at him. It causes his darker Unseelie nature to rise until it threatens to overwhelm him.

I can't possibly express how perfect an ending this was to the Kagawa's Iron Fey series. It feels like the entire series has been wrapped up with a bow and handed to me. The Iron Knight was not a tidy ending to the storyline by any means, but it was absolutely perfect. We learn more about Ash as a person, his struggles and fears that he's always hidden behind his Winter Prince mask. The rules he's broken, the friends he's lost, and the choices he's made (rash and otherwise) have eaten at him in a way that his Oaths did not. While I have always liked Ash, he became a much more three dimensional character in The Iron Knight. He's not always been a good guy, or even a half-way decent guy, but he has always done what he needed to survive and protect the few people he cared for. What was especially nice was to see how Meghan had changed him. Ash had been chained down by his past and she slowly showed him how to live again. We still have the strong and stoic former prince of Winter, but he's so much more in this book.

In general I thought that The Iron Knight started out a bit slow, but stick with it because once the journey to the End of The World starts the book really picks up the pace. The supporting characters were excellent and Puck was so much more than a trickster in this one. In fact, our understanding of several characters is challenged or changed. Kagawa continues to mix humor and pop culture into her stories which helps to lighten the tone when we need it. The Iron Knight was much more introspective than previous books but it suited the story and was very satisfying for me as a reader.

Read full review HERE

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Knight.

09/24/2011 page 386

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jynjanynja You're so right about the events in the book shaping Ash. I guess the Winter Court is a predictable place, which is why he never grew there... but then what about Ariella? Hmm

An Abundance of Books Jynjanynja wrote: "You're so right about the events in the book shaping Ash. I guess the Winter Court is a predictable place, which is why he never grew there... but then what about Ariella? Hmm"

But she's not his family or from the winter court... :)