Gordon's Reviews > Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church

Confessions of a Reformission Rev. by Mark Driscoll

Feb 15, 08

Read in February, 2008

I heard Mark Driscoll speak about four months ago, and I found him to be an incredibly engaging and entertaining. When he says that he preaches b/n an hour and a hour and a half each Sunday, I believe it. BTW, I listened to one of his sermons the other day. It was incredibly informative and thought-provoking and also could have been edited by at least fifteen minutes, but I digress.

"Confessions of a Reformission Rev" is his book detailing the genesis of his Mars Hills Church in Seattle, WA. At first read his style is simultaneously funny and offensive, but the book's most compelling aspect is Marks' willingness to admit his mistakes. As a fellow church-planter, I know it is hard to say, "I should have done that differently," but one of the reason's that Mark's church has thrived is that he has been willing to address his mistakes (and avoid quiet a few) early on.

At the 1,200 attendee stage, Mark wrote a ten point manifesto about what would be necessary for his church to become what it needed to be. Mark felt Mars Hill needed to be 3,000 strong to effectively reach its community (it is now well over 10,000), and the only way to do it was to change the structure of everything. That also means that Mark risked everything as well. The chronicling of those changes is a worthwhile read for anyone interested in new-convert church growth.

I find Mark to be the emerging (notice the little "e" and not the big "E" of Emergent) church's John MacArthur. Mark is reformed in his soteriology, and he is also attractively arrogant about his opinions. Interestingly enough, JonnyMac has praised Mars Hill's doctrine but criticized their methodology. Either way, Mark is not going anywhere any time soon. Just like JonnyMac, he is beginning to publish at a fever pitch. He has six books being released this year alone. "Confessions" is a good intro to who he is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Reformission Rev..