Sarah (YA Love)'s Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Nov 07, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011-debut-author-challenge, read-in-2011, young-adult-lit, abandoned-books, angels, paranormal-ya, series
Read from April 16 to 17, 2011

I know “hate” is a strong word, but I positively hate it when I can’t get into a book and end up not finishing it. Unfortunately, I’ve been running across quite a few books in that category this year. And since I’m not going to fully review them since I didn’t finish them, I think I’m going to post why I simply couldn’t get into them.

My alumni book club and I went to the launch party for Courtney Allison Moulton’s debut novel Angelfire. She did a great job at the launch, we all bought books and had them signed, and agreed we’d read her book for book club. We had a couple books lined up before hers, so we’re just now reading Angelfire for our next meeting. I started reading it on Thursday or Friday (it’s been a busy week, so I can’t remember) and gave up yesterday.

Whenever I’m reading a book and feeling a little dicey about it, I try to give it at least 100 pages before I finally make up my mind. I decided to stop at page 108. Granted, this is a 453 page book, so maybe that’s not enough of a chance. But let me explain it first.

The biggest problem I’m having is that it doesn’t feel like any kind of plot is being developed. Ellie has discovered that she’s been reincarnated hundreds of times as a Preliator, or reaper killer. She also knows that Will has been her Guardian for 500 or so years. And after 108 pages, that’s it. She fights and kills reapers. So… What’s the point? Why should I keep reading? What’s her major problem besides realizing at 17 that she’s been reincarnated and has to kill reapers with the help of Will? Maybe I’m missing the point, but how can I be 108 pages in and not really know where the story is going? This explains the weird dreams she’s been having and that’s about it. I need to feel like there’s more to the story to keep me reading. I’m a teacher with tons of papers to grade and lessons to plan. I’m a grad school student with intense classes and reading to complete. I’m a blogger with other books on my shelf waiting to be read and reviewed. I don’t want to sound mean, but I need a reason to keep reading a book. And Angelfire simply wasn’t providing it :(

Besides the plot, I couldn’t get over the writing style. It’s pretty choppy and there isn’t as much internal dialogue as I prefer from a first-person point of view. I really don’t have a good feel for who Ellie is as a protagonist and I should by now. And then there were the typos… I’m an English teacher and I can’t ignore them. I know they happen (I make them in my posts too!), and I catch them pretty often. A few here and there I can ignore and they don’t change my opinion of the book. But I was left wondering how much attention this book received before it was published.

I have an extra copy of this book in my classroom already and a couple of students have read it and loved it. I think that’s fantastic, because I know not everyone feels the way I do. And I’m sure some of my boys who enjoy fantasy will like Angelfire because of the violent and bloody fight scenes. So this book definitely has appeal, just not for me.

If you’ve read Angelfire, I’d love to know what you think. Does it get better soon? If so, let me know and maybe I’ll give it another chance this summer. If you feel the same way, I’d like to know that too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

04/16/2011 page 90
20.0% "I don't know if I'm going to finish this one :/"
04/16/2011 page 104
23.0% "I give up. I can't read anymore of this when I can't even find a real plot. Okay, she's a reaper-killer or whatever. What's the point? 100 pages in and I don't know yet?! Not worth my time."
11/06/2016 marked as: abandoned-books

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika  Forth I only made it to fifty pages, lol

Marlena The book was eh to me. Nothing special. the best part of the book is the battle scenes. That's about it. Other than that, the writing was amateur, the plot was too simple, and the characters did not have a lot of depth to them. But hey! As you can see, there are a lot of people who say the exact opposite of me!

Patrick Coming from an English teacher, this must be a pretty legit review. I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I was younger. I guess I was just drawn to pretty cover, cool name, angel lore and the fact that it's readable within a day or so.

message 4: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia Nichole Your review is very polite, actually…

Samantha Wilson I totally agree with your review. I honestly couldn't finish the book because I felt that it was a bit rushed. If the book focused on getting her memory back and training her how to use her powers and what not I think I would have liked a lot more. I can see where some people liked this book since we all have different opinions and taste. But I am with you I honestly just could not get into the book.