Ali's Reviews > These Foolish Things

These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach

Jan 20, 08

Recommended for: Linda
Read in January, 2008

I am glad that finally after a very long time on mnt toobie - I have got around to reading this novel. It is a real delight, and it I have discovered a writer I had not previously read. This is a funny and touching comedy of manners set in London and Bangalore, but it has many quite profound things to say really, about ageing, family, and lonliness, and about how important it is to feel a part of something, a family, a group, something to identify with. There is a wonderful cast of characters - some of whom behave quite badly - but for whom the reader is allowed to feel quite a bit of sympathy. I must say if I could I would pack my bags now and head out to Dunroamin in Bagalore - even though I'm still a little too young it would do me the power of good I think,.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Foolish Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LindyLouMac Thanks for recommending this to me. I throughly enjoyed it. especially being in need of a good laugh after my previous read.

message 2: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Linda wrote: "Thanks for recommending this to me. I throughly enjoyed it. especially being in need of a good laugh after my previous read."

Glad you liked it - yes it was funny I remember ; )

Sara Loved this - it's better than the movie, naturally - I want to read Tulip Fever now!