Shawna's Reviews > Beg for Mercy

Beg for Mercy by Jami Alden

Jan 29, 15

bookshelves: author-jami-alden, romantic-suspense, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, 2011-reads, 5-stars, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-brooding, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-borrowed, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, steam-3-hot, heroine-girl-next-door, horror-mystery-suspense-thrillers, hero-im-gaga-over, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, yowza-hotness, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-walking-hardon, series-wrongful-conviction-trilogy, best-fave-reads-of-2011, favorites, serial-killer-on-the-loose, villain-creepy-azz-killer, violence-reader-discretion-advised, dark-suspense
Recommended for: Fans of steamy, dark, and intense romantic suspense thrillers
Read on June 05, 2011

5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Warning: This ain’t yo mama’s romantic suspense! It’s a dark, chilling, gritty, edgy, emotional, disturbing, graphic, and violent romantic suspense thriller with a sick f**k serial killer who’s methods gave me mega, serious creeps.

The romance between Cole and Megan was well developed, genuine, affecting, and steamy. Their love scenes were volatile and smokin’ hot yet suitably placed so that the passionate moments never felt inappropriate for the plot’s heavier subject matter. Megan could be considered a TSTL heroine, but it was all done out of dedicated, deep love for her brother, so I understood her ruthless motivation and desperate actions. Cole is such a cynical, broodingly sexy cop hero...my favorite...YUM!

It’s a great read that fans of darker romantic suspense by authors like Karen Rose, Allison Brennan, and especially steamier Cynthia Eden should enjoy. I’m looking forward to the next book, Hide from Evil, that comes out in Nov’2011. 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beg for Mercy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura Great review, Shawna!! I'm a huge fan of Cynthia Eden's romantic suspense and I've heard nothing but great things about this book!

Elizabeth (Liz) Yay!! Really helpful review! I have this on my wishlist (to-read), and I loved some of her earlier books, so I was hoping this would be good. I tend to like a little darkness and edge with my steam, from time to time;-)

message 3: by Diana~ (new)

Diana~ Great review Shawna!

Colleen I really enjoy the dark, edgier romantic suspense books, so added this one to my TBR pile! Thx for the review Shawna - awesome as always!

message 5: by Shawna (last edited Jun 06, 2011 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Laura! I love Cynthia Eden's Deadly series, and this is definitely dark and steamy like those.

Thanks, Elizabeth! I enjoyed Jami Alden's Gemini Men trilogy, and I've been anxious for her to release more books. I think she's gone in the right direction with the darker and edgier, but still steamy, suspense, and I can't wait for the next book in this trilogy.

Thanks, Diana!

Thanks, Colleen! I think you'll enjoy it!

Vicki Excellent review! I'm picking this up from the library tomorrow...can't wait to read it! :)

Yvonne Great review! I'm so glad you loved it, I was really in need of a dark intense romance.

message 8: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Great review Shawna. This book is on my wish lish and from your review I think I will definately look at making it a higher priority. I like a decent/strong story with my steam!

message 9: by Ragus (last edited Jun 08, 2011 09:04PM) (new) - added it

Ragus Excellent review, Shawna! I ran across this book the other day and was not sure of the author. It sounds like my kind of book after reading your review ... one more for the TBR :o))

Shawna Thanks, Vicki! I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, Yvonne! It definitely satisfied my fix for dark, intense, steamy suspense! (Thanks again for the loan!)

Thanks, Dee! I hope this works for you as well.

Thanks, Ragus! I think you'd enjoy this!

message 11: by Edna (new)

Edna I adored Cynthia Eden's dark romantic suspense series and I've been looking for something similar since then. Thanks for the review. I think I'll check this one out.

Shawna I hope you enjoy it, Edna Lyn.

Marion Great review. Off to buy the book.

message 14: by Shawna (last edited Jun 09, 2011 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Marion! Get ready for some chills! :)

message 15: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim sounds good shawna. would you compare it to Shannon McKenna's books? i love the intensity of them.

Shawna Hey Kim! It's definitely dark and intense like McKenna, but more chilling and violent and the plot isn't as confusing or complicated. The hero is a cynical, brooding cop, but he's not nearly as hardcore possessive alpha like McKenna's stalkerific heroes. I think you'll like it, though.