karen's Reviews > The Arizona Kid

The Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: and-so-this-is-grad-school, why-yes-i-ya
Read from November 07 to 08, 2010

i was all braced to not like this one. it was for the humor section of the reading list, and surely my sense of humor is more refined and nuanced than a teenager's, right. RIGHT?? i just figured it would be silly and not really a stick-to-your-cranium kind of book.

but this is dr. chelton and this book:

so i had to read it. how else am i going to grow up to be her? (and i was the only one in the whole class to choose to read it. i should give lessons in smooching up to teacher, because it is just shameful - these oversights and missed opportunities)

but it is a really good story; teen goes to stay with his gay uncle in arizona to work with horses in order to get experience because he wants to be a vet. while there, he loses his virginity (neither to his gay uncle nor to a horse), battles the heat, learns about courage, friendship, love; several generic teen fiction themes, and what it means to leave a place in which you have changed so much. the whole book is very sensitively drawn, but with actual humor. there is some overly broad comic relief in the form of a friend's survivalist father, but every scene between billy and his uncle is brilliant and the way teen sexuality is handled is neither shy nor gratuitous. the changes billy undergoes are at once subtle and realistic. i opted to not read his poetry book for the books-in-verse week because it sounded awful (shakespeare bats cleanup - no thank you), but i would recommend this one, and if i found myself reading another of his novels, i would be very pleased.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arizona Kid.

Comments (showing 12-61)

message 61: by Greg (new)

Greg I love that cat picture! I'm having big giants awwwwws shooting through my body right now from it!

karen you are such a girl

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio BetchergladIdidn'tgotabedjustyetcuzijustvoted??

Also, Greg got totally smacked down with that one, karen.

Also, karen don't be so horribly cruel to Greg.

message 58: by Greg (new)

Greg No I'm not. Look at them!! It's insanely cute!!

karen I TOLD YOU I HAD BEEN DRINKING!! I AM A CRUEL CRUEL DRUNK!!!

karen but it's true - they are totally cute.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Haha! Mama calls her boy a sissy after a few cocktails, etc, etc, and 'scene.'

message 54: by Greg (new)

Greg You didn't tell me you were drinking, except for that soda you said you had earlier.

karen oh, i must have confessed that elsewhere.

I AM DRINKING!!!

it is wine. now i have no more wine. but i have meredith's cookies.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio She confessed in her ninja review, Greg. The review you've never ::wink wink:: seen ::wink wink:: before or happened to ::wink wink:: hijack someone else's ::wink wink:: profile to make ::wink wink:: comments on.

message 51: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Puma If Gordon Korman's No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman is on your list of juvie titles, it's very funny and very quick.

description

karen ha! i like the cover!

she talked about this in class - maybe i will give it a go - i am just so psyched to be done with the reading for this class, i am going to gorge on adult books for a while before i read any more YA. (well, maybe one or two...)

message 49: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Puma karen wrote: "ha! i like the cover!

this one's more 5-9. I can't find my copy for an exact quote, but there's one from the ever-so-honest boy narrator (paraphrased), "if there's a dog on the cover, and an award medal, that dog's goin' down." save it for when you're wanting a laugh. the finale has all the chaos of the endng to Victor/Victoria.

karen oh, i like that! just when i thought i was free to be a grown-up.....

message 47: by Mike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike Puma karen wrote: "oh, i like that! just when i thought i was free to be a grown-up....."

you can be a grown-up in your next life. I've bought, loaned out, rebought, loaned out,... this one so many times it's pitiful.

message 46: by JSou (new)

JSou while there, he loses his virginity (neither to his gay uncle nor to a horse)

What?? No horse-raping??

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Finally someone else is as outraged about that as me.

karen i can only read one book about horse-rape per lifetime.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio This completely changes how I view you now.

karen if it makes you want to put fewer children in me, then it's all for the good.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio It's a win-win. I don't have to deal with someone who only reads one horse-rape book per lifetime and you get to remain childless.

karen greg just came to work, and the first thing he said to me was, "i love that cat picture".

what a fucking girl.

message 39: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Dec 03, 2010 11:12AM) (new)

Eh?Eh! karen wrote: "I TOLD YOU I HAD BEEN DRINKING!! I AM A CRUEL CRUEL DRUNK!!!"

Look! karen's drunk in the morning! Er, I guess it's afternoon over there.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Haha, no, I think that's just run o' the mill sober cruelty. Though Greg's sorta asking for it by mentioning the cat picture yet again and in real life nearly 14 hours after the fact.

karen it's like he has never seen a picture of a cat before.

message 36: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine yay for the end of mandatory YA!!

Msmurphybylaw Mandatory YA? sounds kinky.

My family kept pigs, so you can only imagine the goings on.

I'll tell later after a 3rd glass of wine

karen drink quickly

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana those cats look like my cats. i miss them!!

message 32: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Dana wrote: "those cats look like my cats. i miss them!!"

karen yeah, rohinsky, let's talk about your cats....

didn't you say your sister was there yesterday?? because i went today and there was zero water, zero dry food - the poop box was full and there was litter spewed everywhere... and the cat-who-exists came barreling up to me the minute i opened the door. the imaginary cat remained imaginary. either your sister is a shitty cat sitter or she has been kidnapped.

Msmurphybylaw Those are brokeback cats.

Okay, I'm on my third glass and I can't believe I would tell this story to, well everyone.

But here goes: My grandfather was drinking with his buddies on the back porch. They'd been drinking a while and they started to tell about their sexual escapades with farm hands and, uh, animals.
One of his buds cleared his throat and confessed "I fucked a pig once, but was never in company fit to tell about it."

So, which is worse? The doing of the pig? or being the proper company?

message 29: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Msmurphybylaw wrote: "Those are brokeback cats.

karen oh, being considered the proper company, definitely.

definitely.

Msmurphybylaw It was horrifying to hear this, but now it is really sad and very funny.

Gotta love the fam!

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana Jasmine wrote: they are. karen's been breaking into your apartment. it was suppose to be a secret"

i would be more impressed by karen's skills at breaking and entering if she didn't have a key to my apartment....

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana karen wrote: "

wow. now i feel like i need one of those nanny cams to spy on my sister when she takes care of my cats.

karen that's what happens when you replace me.

also - spoiler alert - your foyer christmas tree is up - yayyy!

message 23: by Dana (new)

Dana oh noes. is the christmas music playing? it's hard to sleep when you're being subjected to feliz navidad.

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine the washington square christmas tree is up.

message 21: by Dana (new)

Dana so is the tree in rockefeller. are we keeping a tally?

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine karen do you have a tree? that would be 4.

karen i have a christmas display that i make, but i haven't done it yet.

message 18: by Jasmine (last edited Dec 03, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

Jasmine you mean at work?

do we have the stupidest angel in again?

karen no, at home, silly.

it was out of print before - i don't know if it came back in print. we definitely do not have it.

message 16: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I didn't know you made displays at home.

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine it looks like it's back in print.

karen well, i don't have room for a full tree, so i make a little mini place for my ornaments with a teeny tiny tree.

message 13: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine cute

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Hate to be a grinch, karen, but a stack of books is a different thing than a small tree. But you can still decorate your special book-stack and pretend.

« previous 1