Creative A's Reviews > The Wizard Heir

The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: series-i-follow, books-read-in-2011, books-that-linger, favorite-titles-of-all-time
Read from April 24 to June 01, 2011

YUM. Why is this series so little-known?

Reading the Warrior Heir, I had a few gripes, mainly about the convoluted ending. So I wasn't sure if The Wizard Heir would be better or worse. But oh, it was SO much better!

Cinda pulled off so many hard things. She followed up the explosive ending of a first novel with a realistic and interesting sequel--although society was so much different in Wizard than in Warrior, I totally bought it.

Also, she spends huge portions of the novel bringing her characters through literal torture, and she did it well. She re-introduced a whole cast of old characters without infodumping, having developed them since we last saw them, and from another character's point of view which gave me whole new insights to the people. Finally--the ending! It wasn't just "an improvement," it was amazing.

In fact, this whole novel was more than an improvement. She grew by leaps and bounds. I'm really hopeful about reading "The Dragon Heir." Fingers crissy-crossed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wizard Heir.

06/02/2011 "this was driving me crazy at first, but after a couple slow original chapters, I'm really caught up. Seth is an incredible character. I love where the series is going, and this doesn't feel like a "middle" book at all! Hoping the end will keep up the good work..."