Jessica Lawlor's Reviews > Killer

Killer by Sara Shepard

Nov 07, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010

** spoiler alert ** Killer, the sixth book in the intriguing Pretty Little Liars series begins with our four favorite girls discovering Ian’s dead body in the woods. When they go to the cops for help and return, the body is gone. From this point on, the girls are labeled “pretty little liars” in the media, and the cops are wary to trust anything they say.

This book deviates from the norm thus far in that we delve more into each girl’s personal story. Aria struggles with her mom’s new relationship with Xavier, a guy Aria had met and flirted with at an art opening. Emily finally has the perfect boyfriend, but his mom hates her and will do anything to end the relationship. Spencer thinks she’s adopted and begins the search for her birth mom. Hanna will do anything to steal the spotlight from her almost step-sister Kate, even if it means dating someone she isn’t sure she’s really into.

All of this drama culminates in a fiery, shocking ending that brings all four girls face to face with the one person they never thought they’d see again- Ali.

As I read through some reviews of this book on Goodreads, I found myself agreeing with a few people who mentioned that the repetition of scenes bothered them. This book often dives a few years into the past on the night that Ali disappeared always adding a new clue or two. I like the suspense, and I love uncovering the details right along with the girls, but I do agree that I’m getting a little bit sick of reading the same descriptions book after book.

The book seemed to be lagging until we got to those last few intense chapters. From there, I was hooked and I didn’t put the book down until the shocking ending. I was seriously left with my jaw on the ground and ran out to the bookstore immediately to pick up the seventh book in the series, Heartless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer.