Laura de Leon's Reviews > The Orchid Affair

The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig

2013736
Mar 21, 2011

bookshelves: review-copy, historical-fiction, romance, blog-scheduled
Read from March 10 to 14, 2011

The historical section of The Orchid Affair was great. The modern section seemed mostly to serve to influence the pace-- I enjoyed it, but it wasn't very substantial, even with all that happened with Colin's family.

Of course, I'm always a sucker for characters named Laura, but I really liked this one. I particularly appreciated how she was introduced showing the formal, reserved governess facade she shows the world, and how the layers were peeled away as I grew to know her better.

Then again, who wouldn't love a 30+ year old governess freshly out of spy school?

I thought the author had just the right touch with Laura's two young charges-- they had personalities appropriate to their ages, and enough spark to make them interesting without being so precocious as to cause eye-rolling on my part.

And the love interest! I loved this young father trying to figure out what was right and wrong in his society, trying to protect his young children from the fallout of his political involvement. The relationship developed with a nice balance of conflict, common interests, and attraction.

I liked the French setting, as a counterpoint to the previous novels. It seems such a confusing time for the citizens of France. Pretty much all I know about this era of history is from fiction, too much of that being romance novels where I don't trust the accuracy. For better or worse, I do trust Lauren Willig to have her facts about the time period correct.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchid Affair.