Katina's Reviews > The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Nov 14, 10

bookshelves: 2010

This book retraces Percy Fawcett's venture(s) into the Amazon and his quest for an ancient civilization he called "Z." Fawcett disappeared. After he and his expedition vanished, others tried to trace his fate and either made up stories about what happened, which were later proven false, or also perished.

The book goes into great detail about Fawcett's quirks, his passion for the supernatural, and the ailments that afflicted him and other explorers in the Amazon. For someone who really enjoys reading gross-out tales of maggots and botflies and the like, this was a highlight.

While tracing Fawcett's steps and the journeys of those who tried to find out what happened to him, Grann tells the story of his own Fawcett seeking expedition. His contemporary trip into the Amazon was the most interesting part of the book for me (apart from the nasty insect tidbits of course). I thought he looked at the history with an appropriately critical eye and I learned a lot about the disturbing beginnings of anthropology as well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost City of Z.