Jan's Reviews > Don't Call Me Mother

Don't Call Me Mother by Linda Joy Myers

Dec 02, 10

Read from November 07 to 14, 2010

I joined the National Association of Memoir Writers, which was started by Linda Joy Myers, the author of Don't Call Me Mother. Along with my membership came a copy of the book. Since I have just written and published a memoir, I read Myers account with utter fascination. Her book is about breaking the chain of mother-daughter abandonment. The first chapter had me in tears. What an ordeal Myers went through as a very young child. Her insight into her mother and grandmother's psychology is very honest and revealing and ultimately explained. They might not be the most sympathetic of characters, but I definitely could muster up some empathy for them. By the time I finished the book, I realized that had I not been adopted, my life could have been very similar. A good read for anyone who has had a tumultuous childhood and wants to know they were not alone. A book of courage and determination. And, Myers is a good writer too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Call Me Mother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rhonda Rae Baker I've just joined NAMW as well...this wonderful memoir arrived on my doorstep today and the Preface brought me to tears. Adding it to my 'currently-reading' list, I noticed your review and already know the story will speak to me. When I found my birth family and realized their dysfunctions, it was clear and is becoming even more clear as I write memoir, that had I not been adopted, my life would have been very different, even more traumatic. I loved your memoir Jan and look forward to connecting with you more. Life brings such beautiful souls in our path and I believe you are one of those that will continue to speak to me...as well as Linda Joy.

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for writing. I love knowing that my book has touched other adoptees. Made the time spent very worthwhile. I'm just about to start a book about Jane, the birth mother I never met. I have this idea to post my writing process on my blog as I go. I found this site, How to Write a Novel in 100 Days or Less I think it would be fun to follow the prompts. Will see how it goes. Please keep in touch. Jan

Rhonda Rae Baker Sounds very interesting Jan...I've heard of this How-to site you speak of. Thought of doing the same on a blog. Thinking it is time to start my blog this January. Put it off last year but feel ready this time around...(-: Yes, let's stay in touch!