Jan's Reviews > Don't Call Me Mother

Don't Call Me Mother by Linda Joy Myers

Nov 07, 2010

Read from November 07 to 14, 2010

I joined the National Association of Memoir Writers, which was started by Linda Joy Myers, the author of Don't Call Me Mother. Along with my membership came a copy of the book. Since I have just written and published a memoir, I read Myers account with utter fascination. Her book is about breaking the chain of mother-daughter abandonment. The first chapter had me in tears. What an ordeal Myers went through as a very young child. Her insight into her mother and grandmother's psychology is very honest and revealing and ultimately explained. They might not be the most sympathetic of characters, but I definitely could muster up some empathy for them. By the time I finished the book, I realized that had I not been adopted, my life could have been very similar. A good read for anyone who has had a tumultuous childhood and wants to know they were not alone. A book of courage and determination. And, Myers is a good writer too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Call Me Mother.

Rhonda Rae Baker I've just joined NAMW as well...this wonderful memoir arrived on my doorstep today and the Preface brought me to tears. Adding it to my 'currently-reading' list, I noticed your review and already know the story will speak to me. When I found my birth family and realized their dysfunctions, it was clear and is becoming even more clear as I write memoir, that had I not been adopted, my life would have been very different, even more traumatic. I loved your memoir Jan and look forward to connecting with you more. Life brings such beautiful souls in our path and I believe you are one of those that will continue to speak to me...as well as Linda Joy.

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Hi Rhonda,
Thanks for writing. I love knowing that my book has touched other adoptees. Made the time spent very worthwhile. I'm just about to start a book about Jane, the birth mother I never met. I have this idea to post my writing process on my blog as I go. I found this site, How to Write a Novel in 100 Days or Less I think it would be fun to follow the prompts. Will see how it goes. Please keep in touch. Jan

Rhonda Rae Baker Sounds very interesting Jan...I've heard of this How-to site you speak of. Thought of doing the same on a blog. Thinking it is time to start my blog this January. Put it off last year but feel ready this time around...(-: Yes, let's stay in touch!