Pamela's Reviews > for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf

for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbo... by Ntozake Shange

Nov 07, 2010

bookshelves: afro-american-women-lit, social-agenda-reads, inspirational-reads
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from November 25 to 26, 2010 , read count: 1

"for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf" by Ntozake Shange is a powerful choreopoem that explores many different arenas: rape, sexually-transmitted diseases, unplanned pregnancy, abortion, murder, etc... It is written in a way that conveys to the reader the physical and emotional stance of the women in the play. While delving into many social topics that seem to plague all women(not just colored girls) today, Shange creates an atmosphere in which these women are made comfortable to address these issues when they would, otherwise, not want to draw the attention. Such as the poem that addresses unplanned pregnancy and abortion - "i cdnt have people lookin at me pregnant i cdnt have my friends see this dyin danglin tween my legs...nobody came cuz nobody knew once i was pregnant & shamed of myself."
Personally, this choreopoem spoke volumes to the corners of my mind and my heart, that is, the poem and Tyler Perry's movie, "For Colored Girls" off of which this poem is based. Unlike "Precious" based on Sapphire's "Push," I did not read the book first. As a matter of fact, I'm happy that I had an opportunity to view the movie before reading. I believe it really helped a lot in that this is my first time reading a choreopoem. The characters in the movie really brought the stories and issues to life, and, as previously mentioned, these are topics that touch all women, not just colored girls.
I give it 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf.

11/25/2010 page 23