Lexi Ander's Reviews > Vanilla Ride

Vanilla Ride by Joe R. Lansdale

Nov 13, 10

bookshelves: mystery, favorites
Read from November 08 to 13, 2010

Don't let the cover of this book throw you. I did a search at my public library for “gay – fiction” and came across this title as an audio download. I have not heard of the author before and because the library had more than one book by him, I rented it, regardless of the picture on front (which I didn't get until the book was almost over).

For the first hour I laughed tears.

I did not know that this was the 7th in a series and I have already bought book one. BUT this can be read as a stand alone. You don't need the back history between Hap and Leonard to follow the story. I thought it was perfect.

Hap and Leonard are tough guys, “brothers”. Hap is a middle aged white hetero male who is living with the love of his life, Bret, in east Texas. Leonard is a gay black man who is on the outs with his lover, John. These two are definitely two peas in a pod. Ex-cop and friend, Martin, asks a favor of the two tough guys. Gadget, Martin's grand daughter is mixed up with a small time drug dealer who is using her for a punching bag. Would Hap and Leonard go get her and bring her home? It's a favor for a friend. It's simple enough, right?

Pissing off the Dixie Mafia, blackmailed by the FBI, hated by the Cops, car chases, gun fights, angry white woman with a shot gun, girl slap down, a dead alligator, an almost superman hit-man, and then there is the assassin, Vanilla Ride.

I loved this all the way through and look forward to start from the beginning.

Note: There is no sex or girly parts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanilla Ride.

11/08/2010 "I am laughing tears!"
11/09/2010
48.0% "The chick on the front cover, I don't know where they got that. Hap and Leonard are "brothers". A het white male (Hap) and a black gay man (Leonardd). They are the toughest characters that I have read about in a long while. Laughing...holy cow...they are so hilarious that they are going to get themselves killed!"
show 2 hidden updates…