Zaki's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Jan 22, 2015

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** I felt cheated by this. I wanted to believe in God after finishing this but was left with a feeling of disappointment and irritation.

I wanted it to be a magical experience
I bet the movie's gonna suck

This book will make you believe in God? That’s complete tosh! I felt harangued throughout the book just as much as someone might feel when talking to a person steeped in excessive religiosity.

Technical faults

I quite enjoyed it the first time i read it but looking through it again the writing doesn't seem to be brilliant like for instance the metaphors Martel uses doesn't seem to be an organic part of the passages in which they occur.

Plus - there is a lot of stuff about religion and i feel like he was preaching doctrine which Virginia Woolf warned about in writing.

My reading was marked with a complete inability to suspend my disbelief like the idea of getting stuck on a boat with a tiger is completely implausible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

Quotes Zaki Liked

Yann Martel
“To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.”
Yann Martel, Life of Pi

message 1: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) I couldn't suspend my disbelief either -- probably because I've been a zoo keeper in the past. The first animal to die on that boat would have been the human, hands down. It may be that it's more difficult for keepers to suspend disbelief on this point. ;)

Michelle Absolutely agree with the technical faults. I felt the writing and character development to be contrived to the point of distraction. And honestly, I'm not religious but felt disappointed by how superficially the book dealt with religion.

Sandi I love the book and movie. I've read the book five times, and I've seen the movie, twice.

Sandi I totally agree with you Michelle

Stacey Miner I'm so with you on the "make you belive in god" garbage. This story did no such thing.

message 6: by Zaki (last edited Jun 22, 2015 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zaki I actually do believe in God. I'm just being flippant here because i feel the book makes empty promises to a lot of people and harps on. I guess I wanted it to reaffirm my faith.