Helen's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

204148
Dec 29, 10

bookshelves: gothic-fiction
Read from December 27 to 29, 2010

The Thirteenth Tale is the story of the reclusive and secretive Vida Winter, the world's most popular author, who summons Margaret Lea to write her biography. Margaret is surprised by the request - after all, she's just an amateur biographer who works in her father's bookshop - but she agrees to visit Miss Winter and listen to what she has to say. As the story of Winter's childhood unfolds, Margaret discovers what it is they have in common and why she was chosen to write the biography.

The Thirteenth Tale borrows elements of classic novels such as Wuthering Heights, The Woman in White, Jane Eyre, and The Turn of the Screw and it felt instantly familiar to me: the Yorkshire moors, twins, mistaken identities, ghosts and governesses all play a part in the story. I'm not saying this book was unoriginal or an exact copy of any other novel - it wasn't - but Diane Setterfield was obviously trying to capture the overall mood of those gothic classics. Not only are the books I just mentioned referred to over and over again in the story, but they are cleverly incorporated into the plot. I can see why The Thirteenth Tale has been so popular because it really is a book for book lovers!

Yet despite the familiarity, I didn't guess everything that was going to happen. When the solution to the mystery (or one of the mysteries, as there are a few) was revealed, it surprised me - although the clues had been there all along and I'm sure if I read the book again it would be obvious.

One thing that struck me while I was reading this book was that we are never told when the story was supposed to be set. There are no historical references to suggest when the events of the book are taking place. Even Margaret's timeframe, although obviously fairly recent, is still vague. I'm sure this was deliberate and it does help to give the story a timeless feel, but I'm one of those readers who likes to know when a story is set!

While I didn't love this book as much as I hoped I would (which I suspect might just be because I've read too many books of this type recently), it was fun, entertaining and very quick to read for a book with over 450 pages. It was also a perfect read for late December - a book to curl up with indoors while it's cold and dark outside.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.