Trixie Fontaine's Reviews > Singleton: A Novel

Singleton by Jack Cady

Nov 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-consumption
Read from November 05 to 07, 2010

I loved most everything about this book, particularly the solitude. After reading some Raymond Carver it was nice to come back to Cady who was kind of a peer and neighbor to Carver but with a spirit and tenderness Carver lacks. I appreciate that Cady writes characters who love women and that he has a genuine empathy and respect for his woman characters. I'd go so far as to say the love is palpable in his books instead of other dudes who are like, "I'm going to write characters representing the gritty realities of misogyny!" Instead you read a book like this one and get a fuck-crush, because . . . yeah.

You can tell Cady wasn't just writing a story about a truck driver; he WAS a truck driver. Not just a wandering artiste pretending to be a trucker, but a real working man. The details of little moments in this book are exquisite plus I love reading someone else grasping and feeling just on the verge of understanding, sensing something just a little shifty and electric beyond the realm of the ordinary.

I wish I'd have copied down a few choice passages to share, but I didn't so you'll just have to read it yourself. Be forewarned, though, that there are some depressing areas. Not like bombs and war-torn bodies exactly, but just like . . . real ordinary fucking depression, the kind that regular people get. The payoff was not bad, though. Not bad at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singleton.

11/07 page 142