Karl Kindt's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

Feb 01, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in February, 2008

As I type this, I am only halfway through this third installment of Alan Moore's LoEG, and I am stunned, amazed, impressed, and entertained, even more than the previously wonderful installaments. He manages to weave Emma Peel (of THE AVENGERS TV show), Mina (from DRACULA), King Arthur, Gulliver, Odysseus, James Bond (known as Jimmy to protect Moore from law-suits, no doubt), and dozens of others into one coherent and entertaining tale. Like WATCHMEN, this is a story that can only be told through comic books. How else could one harmonize such disparate sources and still make it entertaining and enlightening?

And now I am done. The concept for this book is wonderful, and the execution is great. The only portion I did not like was the "beat" style chapter. Ugh. It made me want to go throughout the house just to make sure I had already burned all the Jack Kerouac that might have sneaked into my library. The ending was unsatisfying, despite the cool 3D, but the real ending happened before that. The 3D epilogue was probably just Allan Moore getting drunk, high, or both, and letting his fertile imagination run about the yard mounting anything it could get its forelegs on top of. Or it was O'Neill's idea. In any case, it makes me want to go read AYESHA now!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.