Darcy's Reviews > The Defiant Hero

The Defiant Hero by Suzanne Brockmann

Nov 06, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, audio-book, private-security-investigator, romance
Read from December 02 to 05, 2010

This series is quickly becoming one of my favorites to read, they are full of action and romance, and the relationships are more complex than a safe combination.

John and Meg meet when he and his SEAL team rush into the embassy where Meg worked escaping some terrorists. While they are there they formed an alliance/friendship, one where in most of the world John's secret feelings would never have been known, but Meg was able to bust him with her knowledge of languages like John. They run across each other a few months later in DC, but John being the honorable man he is does the right thing and walks away from her. Fast forward a few years, and Meg finds herself in a bad spot, she is forced to hold some men at gun point and she immediately asks for the one man she knows will help her. John immediately comes to her rescue, having never gotten over her. While they work to get Meg's daughter and grandmother back, they lay themselves bare by sharing secrets and what their true feelings are.

While there is a lot going on with John and Meg, their romance isn't the only one in the book. Grandma Eve tells Amy the story of her first romance and marriage which takes place during WWII. The story is utterly predictable, but so sweet you can't help but to be on the edge of your seat with it and the air of romanticism it lends to war. The other couple in this book isn't really a couple at all, yet, Sam and Alisha. I find it interesting that both of these people are attracted to each other, but only Sam wants to pursue things. Alisha, for some reason thinks he is the biggest piece of dirt and I just can't figure out why. He does push her buttons, but in the way that in grade school boys pull pig tails on the girls they like. Their verbal sparring leads to some of the best scenes in the book, along with what a plethora of booze and the happy resolution of a tremendous stressful event. One can only hope that these things continue!

I can't wait for the next book!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Defiant Hero.

12/02/2010
8.0% "starting disc 2"
12/03/2010
42.0% "Starting disc 6"
12/04/2010
75.0% "starting disc 10"

Kris H. This is my all time favorite series in the romantic suspense genre! I'm always looking for something close to being as good, but have never found it.

Darcy Have you tried Pamela Clare, her I-team series is good. Roxanne St Claire also has a good series too with body guards. Linda Castillo has some good stand alones.

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I have to agree with Kris, its my favourite series and I haven't found anything to compare. I love that she does story arcs that continue from book to book.
Enjoy Darcy!!!

message 4: by Kris (last edited Dec 06, 2010 03:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris H. Ah...I forgot about the I-team series! I have read it and love it! I just wish she put them out a bit faster. Although I do prefer quality over quantity. I've also read Roxanne St. Clair. The Bulletcatcher series is hot and cold for me. I like some of them and wasn't crazy about the first book in her new series. I'll have to try some Linda Castillo. I've never read her. Thanks for the tip, Darcy.

Kris H. Sam wrote: "I have to agree with Kris, its my favourite series and I haven't found anything to compare. I love that she does story arcs that continue from book to book.
Enjoy Darcy!!!"

I love the story arcs too, Sam! I especially love the way Sam and Alyssa's story builds until they finally get their own book in #6!

Darcy I knew Sam and Alyssa got together as I listened to #14 on audio but was into it when I realized it was a series. I liked the book so much I knew I would have to go back to the beginning.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam @Kris - Try Marliss Melton - she also has a team series that's decent. Some books are good and some are duds.

Darcy @ fw2 - I know what you are talking about. But I can see Meg's side too, she wanted her daughter safe and she really thought she would have to pay the ultimate price.

@ Sam - I have heard Melton before I will have to check her out too.

Kris H. Sam wrote: "@Kris - Try Marliss Melton - she also has a team series that's decent. Some books are good and some are duds."

Thanks Sam. I've actually read all of those (Marliss Melton) too. The Seal Team series was my first in the genre. I thought they were great at the time. After that I discovered the Troubleshooters and was hooked right away.