Gemma's Reviews > Darkest Mercy

Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr

Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Finally. The first book in the series to truly satisfy.

It took Melissa Marr four almost-but-not-quite (or epic fail, in Fragile Eternity's case) installments, but in the last one, she finally gets it down.

We have the action. We have the romance. We have the angst. None to excessive levels. Everything is well balanced and done pretty well. The writing is still good.

And there's character development that we haven't seen since Leslie in Ink Exchange (who, BTW, is back, briefly, which made me happy because I though she was pointless). Aislinn begins to figure out why she's Summer Queen, and what she needs to do, as do Keenan, Donia and Seth. They start growing up, which for eternal beings is a pretty remarkable.

The endings all... worked, well enough I suppose. My only complaint was that they seemed to be too happy. Which is an odd complaint coming from me, because I love happy endings. But bittersweet would have worked with this series, and there was none of that.

The description promised people loosing everything. And some of them did. But then they gained it all back (Keenan, Irial). Too easily, if you ask me. Although, I kind of liked the stuff about Irial being Discord... it suits him rather well. But Keenan... I liked the way he lost it all. That was sweet, and sad, and pretty and Wicked Lovely stuff. Switching him back... I didn't like that.

Overall, probably the best book in the series. Unfortunately, you have to plow through the rest of the books to get to this one. Don't know if it's worth it. Or if you would appreciate it without reading the rest of them and being somewhat endeared to the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkest Mercy.

Quotes Gemma Liked

Melissa Marr
“If you get killed. I'm going to be furious."
"I love you too. Come On.”
Melissa Marr, Darkest Mercy