Angie's Reviews > The Tent

The Tent by Margaret Atwood

Nov 21, 10

Read from November 11 to 20, 2010

This little book is not only a wonderful book to look at, with its beautiful cover and authors own simple pen and ink line drawings inside, but it is an amazingly powerful, simple and beautifully written series of very short stories.

Most of these are only a couple of pages long and as such I was astounded at how much of an impact they create, in the thoughts and effect they brought about in the avid reader (me). I haven't actually ever read any Margaret Atwood before but I will now have a great starting block in mind due to The Tent. The writing was so sharp and Atwood is able to manipulate and conjure a world of thoughts and ideas which jump into life through the words on the page. They then veer off on often crazy tangents which make the reader smile and open up of parts of one's mind often shut away.

Clever, simple and wonderfully imaginative. I loved it. It was like a source of sustenance in the form of a book which is always a great experience.

Very short one as a flavour of this memorable collection.

Time Folds

Time folds, he said, meaning that as time goes on and on it buckles, in extreme heat, in the extreme cold, and what is long past becomes closer. You can demonstrate this by pleating a ribbon and sticking a pin through: Point two, once yards away from Point one, now lies just beside it. Is time/space like an accordion, but without the music? Was he making a statement about hard physics?

Or was he saying: Time folds its wings, at long last. Time folds its tents and silently steals away. Time folds you in its folds, as if you were a lamb and the lack of time a wolf. Time folds you in the blanket of itself, it folds you tenderly and wraps you around, for where would you be without it? Time folds you in its arms and gives you one last kiss, and then it flattens you out and folds you up and tucks you away until it's times for you to become someone else's past time, and then time folds again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tent.

11/12/2010 page 40