katsok's Reviews > The Candymakers

The Candymakers by Wendy Mass

Nov 07, 10

Read in November, 2010

Didn't have time to review this one when I posted yesterday. I adore other books by Mass so I bought this one without knowing anything about it. Sat down to read it yesterday morning and didn't move until the afternoon. I throughly enjoyed the four characters - Logan, Miles, Daisy, and Philip. They have entered a national candy contest where they will each create their own candy. The winner gets some cash and their candy created by a factory and marketed world-wide.

There are five sections of the book. You begin with Logan's section, told from his point of view as he meets the fellow contestants and gives them a tour of the candy factory. (Logan is a contestant and The Candymaker's son). Then you switch to Miles point of view for part two and he retells you the story that Logan did but with his twist. Then on to Daisy and then Philip. You end up where each character left off for part five and finish the story from there.

I really enjoyed each of these characters. I loved the story along with the twists and turns I wasn't expecting. I'd love to hand someone Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to read after this. Sometimes I can only get my students into "older" books if I connect it to a newer one. My only real complaint was that I was sad when it ended because I wanted to read more about these characters I had grown to adore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Candymakers.