Abraham's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

1995852
Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: plays, greco-roman
Read in November, 2010

"That's why they call it a classic." I've read a handful of Ancient Greek plays before this but none of them really grabbed at me, like this one did. Who knows? I guess that trite little phrase up above sums it all, but there's something very allusive that makes this a classic and makes me love it so much. I will say that Oedipus reminds me so much of other tragic figures, from Shakespeare. Othello in particular. As I read the introduction to my edition, translated by Robert Fagles, introduced by Bernard Knox, I kept expecting Shakespeare to come up. And he did: Mr. Knox chose Macbeth. And I have to say I love how Oedipus, in a way, is his own downfall. Everyone, from the shepherds to his wife, to the blind man and even Creon (to a point), tries to hold him back from seeing the truth -- but he wants to see, has to know. And the truth is terrible, to a Freud-follower and otherwise. And while some actions in Greek drama seem strange and overblown in the light of today (Medea may have overdone it), I can see many of us, Freudians and otherwise, gouging out our eyes if ever we found ourselves in Oedipus's shoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.