Pauline's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, own, read-2011, reviews
Read from April 17 to 27, 2011

My father has Alzheimer's and he is often living in his past. He has a teddy bear that he likes to play with and I am unsure if he knows who I am. Being of a medical background none of his progression in his disease has surprised me, but it has saddened me.

Reading "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova did bring tears to my eyes and yes I could relate to Alice's family and how they dealt with her Alzheimer's. I was also able to better understand my father and what he has gone through. What a devastating disease for both the bearer of the disease and for the family. To lose one's memory of language skills is unfathomable and to lose the ability to love someone is heartbreaking and to lose the ability to recognize your family is devastating.

I found the book a bit too simple for my tastes, but I am the type of person who likes to know everything and with a science background and a medical background I found the books description of the drugs used to treat Alzheimer's and the description of the disease itself just too simplistic. I also found there was not enough history about the family; I would have liked to have known more about everyone including Alice.

Some parts of the book seemed cheesy, like the description of Alice's daughter Anna and her reaction to her sister Lydia not going to university and how it pleased her that Lydia was on the outs with Alice; it seemed like a middle school fiction book of sister rivalry. The book could use more depth and character and a bit more growth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.