Libby's Reviews > A Woman's Guide to Successful Negotiating

A Woman's Guide to Successful Negotiating by E. Miller Lee

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: communication
Read in November, 2010

I may have gotten dumber reading this. But I did - I have had a perennial inadequacy at dealing with salary negotiating, or haggling over any financial transaction, from an viewpoint that money should cause as little stress as possible, since it already is inextricable from so many of the world's stresses. So, yeah, I just needed to take a long soak in the "be willing to walk away" and "asking for what you want doesn't damage relationships." One concrete tip:
"You can often take advantage of being underestimated by men by offering to do the first draft of any agreement. Men will usually acquiesce to such an offer and may even welcome the fact that they do not have to do the work. As any lawyer will tell you, the person who drafts the documents has a major advantage because you get to deal with the issues that have not been specifically addressed in a manner favorable to you, as long as you are consistent with what has actually been agreed to. The other side will then have to negotiate changes to what you have already drafted."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman's Guide to Successful Negotiating.