Jan Strnad's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Nov 06, 10

Read from October 20 to November 06, 2010, read count: 1

This series of books is incredibly popular and I was looking forward to reading it, but I really didn't think much of this first installment. Lisbeth Salander (The Girl) is an interesting character but she's barely in the first two-thirds of the book. The structure really tried my patience as I read laboriously through the first half as the main character, Mikael Blomkvist, tries to piece together a murder mystery whose main surprise is pretty well telegraphed at the outset. The ending, too, is prolonged and sets out a new story with no real connection to the murder mystery.

Part murder mystery, part grindhouse schlock, part financial procedural, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo struck me as a mishmash that really needed some editing. In fact, if I'd read this book as an indie offering from the author, I'd be thinking, "Yeah, I see why this wasn't picked up."

Such is our world, though, that some books enter the public consciousness and achieve wild popularity out of all proportion to their quality. For me, this is one such book.
Likeflag