Nick's Reviews > V for Vendetta

Nov 23, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from November 06 to 17, 2010

Maybe I'm just a Watchmen fanatic, but I found V for Vendetta to be only okay. While Watchmen seemed meticulously thought out to the last detail almost like a complex whodunit, V for Vendetta seemed like a needlessly complicated and convoluted political rant that was not well thought out. Keeping track of snooty totalitarian British dudes that end up being only minor characters proved frustrating.

V as a character carries the entire book on his back. The chapters without him were sometimes tough to get through. V's moral ambiguity and theatrical panache make him on of the most likable and interesting comic book characters ever. I have not been this fascinated by a character since Rorchach or Yorick from Y the Last Man. His zen-like "crossword answers" as Evey put it are a pleasure to read.

As with most of Moore's work, V for Vendetta is full of Shakespeare and popular music quotes. Symbolism and other allegories are abound. I'm appreciative of these types of touches in Alan Moore's writing.

Overall, I found V for Vendetta to contain an amazing deconsructed superhero character in a relatively convoluted story.

V for Vendetta book club discussion questions and answers are located on my graphic novel blog here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read V for Vendetta.

11/12/2010 page 80

Joseph Method Yeah, as you can see I had basically the same reaction as you, but less well described.