Amanda Silvia's Reviews > A Box of Darkness: The Story of a Marriage

F_50x66
Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from March 31 to April 05, 2011

I won an Advance Readers' Edition of this book from Goodreads back in November. I put off reading it until now because, frankly, I thought it would be boring and poorly written. But I was pleasantly surprised. Sally Ryder Brady is a strong writer (she has published books and magazine articles before), and she actually had a very interesting life and marriage. There were a few small mistakes that I noticed, but I'm assuming it's because it was an advance copy and would be cleaned up for the actual publication. At first I didn't necessarily like how Brady jumped from past to present and back again, but it's a good story-telling technique, as she is basically putting down words as she remembers her life with her husband, Upton (and she does move through the past in chronological order). It doesn't seem like she wrote the book to make a buck--more like she wanted to work through her feelings about her life with Upton and a book just happened to come out of it. She even asks in the book if her husband would be okay with her revealing his deepest secrets, so I don't think she's completely okay with making everything public.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Box of Darkness.