Eileen's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

May 22, 12

bookshelves: own, read-2011, science-fiction, recommendations, read-2012
Read from April 05, 2011 to May 23, 2012

Re-reading this book to prepare myself for the sequel that I have ordered. Just to refresh my memory.....

Although I prefer fantasy, I also like science fiction, but not the books with the heavy and complicated technical stuff. This story is captivating, original, full of surprises, with likable main-characters and great descriptions of the spaceship by the author.

Elder has been living his whole life on the spaceship "Godspeed", that's on its way from Earth to the planet Centauri. He's a leader in training and finds a hidden level on the spaceship where frozen earthlings are stored. Amy is one of those earthlings. She wakes up before her time and wants to find out the reason why she, classified as non-essential, was unplugged. Maybe her attempted murder was a mistake, but it messes up her life and there is no way back for her.
Elder and Amy meet, bond and try to find the truth about who is killing the frozen earthlings and why, about life on "Godspeed", the ship and its mission.

Eldest, the leader, is one of the bad guys in the story. He's a selfish and ruthless dictator who keeps the inhabitants of the spaceship drugged so they are obedient followers without personal opinions and emotions. He knows that Amy just by being different will cause trouble and change things and he wants to stop her and Elder.

In the end many secrets are revealed, but the question remains if the inhabitants of "Godspeed" are able to handle the bitter truth and if they are strong enough to except their fate, their new life and their new leader.

I think it's a wonderful debut and yes, I'm very curious about what is going to happen next.

04/05/2011 page 14
4.0% "I want my year back." 3 comments
04/06/2011 page 122
31.0% "This technology is better than anything on Earth. Another sign that I don't belong here."
04/07/2011 page 164
41.0% "I'm not important. Why try to kill me?"
04/08/2011 page 224
56.0% "I stare at the name on the screen. Eldest."
04/09/2011 page 237
60.0% "I can wait fifty years until I see them again."
04/09/2011 page 372
93.0% "She holds the bright colored wires in her hand. "Well that did the trick", she says, smiling."
05/17/2012 page 33
8.0% "I want to throw open my eyes and wake up and not be with myself anymore, but I can't."
05/18/2012 page 97
24.0% "I run from the Hospital to the grav tube to the Keeper Level and silent tranquility."
05/18/2012 page 112
28.0% "I stand up and leave the broken flowers in the hall. They remind me too much of me."
05/18/2012 page 131
33.0% "I envy Mr. William Robertson, Number 100, who is floating in a sea of stars."
05/19/2012 page 164
41.0% "He doesn't like anyone to be different at all. Difference, he says, is the first cause of discord."
05/19/2012 page 201
51.0% "I want to see them, but I don't want to see them as frozen meat."
05/20/2012 page 258
65.0% "Do you know you have a friend in me?"
05/22/2012 page 330
83.0% "As of now, we're 250 years behind schedule." 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora I bought this as soon as it was released but haven't made time to read it yet.

Great review, Eileen. :)

message 2: by Eileen (last edited Apr 10, 2011 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eileen Thanks, it's a fast read, not too complicated and captivating. It's a nicely written book and worth the read.

message 1: by Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] (last edited Oct 23, 2011 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] haha no heavy scifi for me either.