Tania's Reviews > The House of the Spirits

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

Nov 05, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction, latino, magic-realism, literature
Read from November 05 to 22, 2010

I bought this book years ago, and when I took it to the counter to pay for it, the young man who was my cashier couldn't help but express his joy at my choosing this title, telling me it was one of the most fantastic books he has ever read. His enthusiasm really left an impact on me, and even though it took me so long to finally commit to reading it, I've never forgotten his heartfelt reaction. Now I see why he was so enthused... this is one of the most enchanting and engrossing books I have ever read, and my only regret is that I didn't read it sooner.
Following four generations of a family, this tale reminded me a lot of another favorite book of mine, A Hundred Years of Solitude. However, even though the narrator was primarily the volatile, passionate male head of the household, I enjoyed the fact that the bulk of this book focused more on the matriarchs of the family. The women characters in this book were all so distinct, so unique, and so flawed, I couldn't help but fall in love with all of them and their stories.
Allende is a gifted, lyrical writer and I loved how seamlessly she blended magical realism with family tragedy, love, and politics.
I look forward to passing on my enthusiasm for this book to another stranger, the way that cashier once did for me. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Spirits.