Ally's Reviews > The Hotel New Hampshire

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving

Nov 05, 2010

Hotel New Hampshire is that book for me. That one great book. It makes me want to go back to any other book I rated with 5 stars and lower them down at least one - because surely they do not compare to this one.

It's impossible to summarize Hotel New Hampshire and have it make sense to someone who has either not read it, or not read anything else by Irving. It contains bears, little people, taxidermy and radicals. The story has many fantastical elements - but at the core of this novel is a story about a family and how it endures. Irving will spend pages describing simple things, yet major events that take place last but a sentence or two. I've re-read this book several times now, and with each reading I discover new layers of the story.

Beyond this - it is difficult for me to make sense of what to write about this book to entice someone to read it - yet not give away any gems that one will discover upon reading it. I will say this - if you are able to read this book and take the lighthearted moments with a smile and the more serious moments with some thought - you will undoubtedly enjoy this book.

So we dream on - thus we invent our lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hotel New Hampshire.

Quotes Ally Liked

John Irving
“So we dream on. Thus we invent our lives. We give ourselves a sainted mother, we make our father a hero; and someone’s older brother and someone’s older sister – they become our heroes too. We invent what we love and what we fear. There is always a brave lost brother – and a little lost sister, too. We dream on and on: the best hotel, the perfect family, the resort life. And our dreams escape us almost as vividly as we can imagine them… That’s what happens, like it or not. And because that’s what happens, this is what we need: we need a good, smart bear… Coach Bob knew it all along: you’ve got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows.”
John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire

05/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Parsons I love this book, I think it's one of the best ever written, i have read it countless times, often going straight back to the start and reading it over again.