Connie's Reviews > The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler

The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler by James Cross Giblin

Nov 05, 2010

liked it

I love learning about history so I decided to read this book. As I began to read it I thought that the author, Giblin, was painting a sympathetic picture for Hitler’s life. As I read it was enraged. His mother died, that is tragic yes but millions face that. He didn’t get into art school, a lot of people don’t, etc. I just didn’t feel bad for him because I knew how he ended up becoming. I think perhaps Giblin was trying to make Hitler look like a man instead of the monster we all know him as.

I thought the first few chapters were boring mainly because I didn’t care about Hitler’s life or the possible “reasons” he became horrid. I didn’t feel sympathetic when he went through hard times; I was happy at the misfortunes in his life. I wish I could have read it from a less biased standpoint but I don’t think many people would be able to do it because we all know what he did and how he did it.

The book was very informational and educational. I really liked the author had pictures, comics, and actual quotes. I thought that really added richness to the book—it wasn’t straight facts; it was visual as well. My favorite quote was found on page 126, it’s when a Jewish student, Hershel Grynszpan, killed a German official in the German embassy in Paris, “Being a Jew is not a crime! I am not a dog. I have a right to live, and the Jewish people have a right to exist on this earth!” I thought that was such a powerful quote; it gave me chills. How could people not see the truth in Hershel’s quote?

This book definitely brought me to question many things and to really think about history. I do think it’s a good book. It is the biography of an evil dictator but it also tells the story of a rising Germany. It talks about other leaders and their effects on the war. It was very educational, I did learn a lot from this book. It’s not something I would recommend to someone under 18 just because the material is very mature but I would recommend it to college students and adults. I think it gives a different perspective on the war and almost takes you inside someone else’s head.

However, I would have liked to read more about the Jewish treatment during his reign. It did address some things as the Jewish boycott and the thought of extermination, etc. But I would have liked to hear more of the actual act and who he appointed, etc. Or his thoughts during the process. In addition, I would have liked more reference to the other victims of Hitler’s rule.

Overall I did like it and I would recommend it. It wasn’t my very favorite book but I did learn a lot and was, for the most part, interested. I usually don't like biographies but I did enjoy reading this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler.

message 1: by Liam (new)

Liam Henderson I disagree about the first chapters being boring. I think it is very interesting to learn about how Hitler became the man he was. His childhood may not have been that interesting, but as he grew into a young man and experienced the first world war on the frontlines, it became more interesting. The book is not one that I would read over and over, but I did enjoy the one read through.