Randy's Reviews > Worth Dying For

Worth Dying For by Lee Child

M_50x66
Nov 05, 10

Read in November, 2010

I should fess up to my Jack Reacher addiction as I dropped everything, downloaded Worth Dying For to my iPhone and raced to finish it as soon as the book was available. Worth Dying For is number 14 or 15 in this series and, yes, I have paged turned as fast as possible through each one of them. The author, Lee Child, has discovered the literary equivalent of MSG which makes his books both tasty and addictive and probably not very good for you. Jack Reacher is a preposterous character, a superhero in the guise of a paladin who appears out of nowhere, with nothing, often in a bleak and unfriendly locale to take on and destroy whichever villains are bullying the local populace. Reacher takes no prisoners, maims and kills and solves mysteries as if he were an author omniscient. At some point in the story Reacher will have a lapse, have the tables turned, find himself in jeopardy then figure a way out. He has the uncanny ability, almost as if he were writing the story himself, to deduce what is going on. Deductiveness is, in fact, one of his superpowers. Another is his fantastic marksmanship. Another is that he needs no possesions of any kind save for a toothbrush. He carries no spare clothing but buys new every three days or so (It should be noted that Reacher wore the same clothes including underwear through this novel). Another is his ability to prevail in hand to hand combat. Another is his attractiveness to women (although it's worth pointing out that this is the second book in a row where Reacher has not had sex unless you wish to count the mild telephone sex with the lady army officer in 61 Hours, his previous adventure). The aforementioned 61 Hours read as if it might have been written by one of Lee Child's interns. However, Mr. Child is back in the saddle with Worth Dying For, a book where Reacher is particularly brutal in beating up a number of very large young men and shooting several gangsters in the head. In the end, he instructs the formally cowed locals to get a backhoe and bury the bodies while Reacher continues to hitchhike, this time to Virginia to try and meet up with that lady army officer. Can't wait to see what happens.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worth Dying For.