TJ's Reviews > Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, favorites
Read from November 28 to 30, 2010

This book is the PERFECT example of the old cliche' "you can't judge a book by its cover". I was confused by the effusive praise for this story, thinking it just another dime store romance... judging by the cover. Never has that cliche hit home so strongly as when I started reading. Ms. Kinsale has taken an ordinary historical and completely turned it into a deep and riveting story with a richness seldom seen in this genre. In fact, I think the publishers have done a huge injustice to such a fine book by lumping it among the common. It is so VERY much more.

The main reason "Flowers" rises so far above is the subject matter itself. Kinsale has taken a young, prolific and unrepentant jaded rake and thrown him into the nightmare of experiencing a massive stroke, 19th century-style. She then adds a circumspect Quaker girl as his nurse and only hope for sanity or redemption in the asylum he is imprisoned in. The reader is led to see the horrific opinions and practices employed in that era before understanding, as we experience all the emotion, frustration and desperation felt through the eyes of this highly intelligent young man battling to re-learn how to think, talk and move again, all as the world labels him an imbecile and a lunatic.

We also experience the struggle of a young Quaker girl thrust into the rich and materialistic world of the aristocracy. Fighting to live her faith and keep her integrity as she unwillingly falls in love with this tortured Duke. The principles of honesty, frugality and total abstinence from carnal temptations seem totally nonexistent in the world she is thrust into.

Both stories are told with amazing compassion and unbelievable depth in understanding. Two subjects so common, yet so overlooked are addressed so well that I literally ached and cried along with the characters. Most important, I walked away from this story a much better person for having read it. THAT, my friends is a 5 star accomplishment in anyones book!

**disclaimer**
There are a couple of mildly steamy scenes, easily skipped if needed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers from the Storm.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) So that's why you commented on my review thread - you're reading it! (I'm not very bright. :-B)

message 2: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant How is it Tam?? I've seen it mentioned tons of times but haven't read it.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Yeah, I'm real curious. If it's too emo, I'll tell myself to avoid it and then probably won't. :P

message 4: by joy (new) - added it

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* how steamy is 'mildly steamy'? pg? oh how i wish...

message 5: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Tam!!! Onto the TBR it goes -- should I order it right now, or wait til I find it?

message 6: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ Tammy wrote: "Great review, Tam!!! Onto the TBR it goes -- should I order it right now, or wait til I find it?"

Well, since I rarely rate a book 5 stars, you know I will say ORDER IT THIS MINUTE! But, since I also know you like 'em HOT, I'm not sure. I would compare it to "Ruthless", the hero is tortured and has a dark past, the heroine is a rather plain, straight-laced girl struggling to deal with him. Even the sex aspect has a lot of similarities, hmmm..... Wonder if Stuart had read this?!?!

Karla, I don't think it is too emo at all. The hero's rage and emotions at suddenly not being able to communicate and having to deal with everyone thinking he is an imbecile is emotional but I don't think in the way you are referring. Again, if you liked Stuart's Ruthless you will probably love this one.

Joy wrote: "how steamy is 'mildly steamy'? pg? oh how i wish..."

There are a couple of sex scenes, kind of graphic but not long. Not PG, I'm guessing strong PG-13 but I skipped them so I could be wrong ;-)

message 7: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Big sigh. How come everyone thinks I'm such a dirty girl? LOL!!!

On to the list it goes!!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Wonderful review, Tammy! I loved this book so, so much. It will stay with me always.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wonderful review, Tammy!

"**disclaimer**
There are a couple of mildly steamy scenes, easily skipped if needed."

Uhm, if it's "mild", why would anyone skip it? LOL

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "
Uhm, if it's "mild", why would anyone skip it? LOL "

message 11: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Apr 28, 2011 07:08PM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: " Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "
Uhm, if it's "mild", why would anyone skip it? LOL "

I actually thought they were pretty hot for a mainstream HR. And I most certainly did NOT skip! LOL"

That's good to know! I need a little somethin', somethin' in my romances, if you know what I mean. *waggles eyebrows* LOL

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... **waggles eyebrows back** Indeed!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I just re-read your review again. *sigh* It really makes me want to do a re-read of this book!

message 14: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ That's exactly what I thought when I read YOUR review :) I think we need to do a buddy re-read here pretty soon. Just let me know when you're ready!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, that sounds perfect!! Okay... I have several books I'm reading to review right now... can we do it early March?

message 16: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars